Brexit - in or out

This is a discussion on Brexit - in or out within the The Foyer forums, part of the Off the Grid category; The UK's referendum for an in or out of the EU vote will happen next autumn. This will be a ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 27, 2015, 4:20pm   #1

Joined Mar 2004
Brexit - in or out

The UK's referendum for an in or out of the EU vote will happen next autumn. This will be a major change if we come out and a done thing if we decide to stay in. Cameron is trying to get a better deal for staying in but it looks like an uphill battle.

I suppose it basically will be largely influenced by money in versus money out. But can we put up with :-

1. stupid decisions in the EU Supreme Court over-ruling our courts ? Like votes for prisoners etc.

2. paying in billions to subsidise the weaker members in hand outs.

3. Shambolic border situation where moral principles outweigh common sense.

4. Huge waste of money on 2 Parliament complexes and staff.

etc.

etc.
Thanks! The following members like this post: Oscar Reed
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:25pm   #2

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread The referendum's result will affect the markets generally and Britain a lot. The neverendum Scots may well decide to go their own way but inside the EU. If they thought being bossed by Westminster was bad I think they will find the Brussels muddle worse.
Old Nov 27, 2015, 5:36pm   #3
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
From what I understand (and correct me if I am wrong) but if Scotland decide to leave the UK they are automatically out of the EU regardless of whether the rest of the UK stay in or not and would have to apply to join as a new independent country. First they would have to show fiscal responsibility which they have so far been hopeless at even with large subsidies from the rest of the UK and if they were accepted they would be in the same category as all the new smaller states such as Lithuania etc

Based on the recent EU experience with Greece, it would be even harder for a newly independent Scotland to gain access without very tough measures being proven by them first which they may well fail to meet.
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Mr. Charts
Old Nov 27, 2015, 7:59pm   #4
Joined Nov 2001
I believe that it only takes one member state to veto a new application. Although the UK has said that it would not, there are one or two countries, of the 28, that have internal problems with discontented autonomies or regions.

I wonder if Madrid would permit Scotland's entry? Almost certainly, if there is one country that would block Cataluņa from entry, it would be Spain. So breakaway republics have that gauntlet to run, too.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2015, 8:56pm   #5

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread It is amazing how little is heard from the very expensive two EU Parliaments ( Brussels and Strasburg ). If any major issues arise it is not the EU Parliaments who decides and are on the telly. Oh no Merkel, Hollande, Cameron etc. are there giving their opinions. So why have a sort of Parliament that does next to nothing useful at vast expense ? It's typical of the EU, the waste of public money.

The EU is so corrupt that the auditors won't sign the books. Very nice for the rogues pocketing millions of taxpayer's money.

All together a nice idea but poorly thought through and much of a shambles. The rules need changing.

Last edited by Pat494; Nov 27, 2015 at 9:02pm.
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2015, 11:09pm   #6
Joined Feb 2002
The EU has been portrayed as an economic issue by British politicians ever since its conception. In fact its a political union and was always going to lead to a United States of Europe but that would be electoral suicide in this country for a PM to highlight.

But we're already in a political union with Europe. Having gone this far, our best advantage will be to manoeuvre for the best position we can. Whoever has most political power in a union of states will automatically gain most financially.

We are already behind the competition, having let old adversary Germany take prime position, so the least risky proposition now would be to embed ourselves 100% within the EU. Possibly even dispose of the pound in order to try for control of the Euro. There is a huge prize available here, but not if you're not in the game.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla
Old Dec 21, 2015, 1:44pm   #7

Joined Mar 2004
Pat494 started this thread The EU is such a money wasting, inefficient, motley group of countries I think Britain will opt out in the referendum.
Stuff the petty fogging rules set out by a useless Parliament and disregarded by Heads of Govt.
Too many bosses and dissatisfied rest. They won't upgrade their systems so abandon the sinking ship imho.
It was miss sold in the 1970s referendum as a trading bloc that has turned into a political nightmare.
Old Dec 21, 2015, 6:56pm   #8
Joined Nov 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
The EU has been portrayed as an economic issue by British politicians ever since its conception. In fact its a political union and was always going to lead to a United States of Europe but that would be electoral suicide in this country for a PM to highlight.

But we're already in a political union with Europe. Having gone this far, our best advantage will be to manoeuvre for the best position we can. Whoever has most political power in a union of states will automatically gain most financially.

We are already behind the competition, having let old adversary Germany take prime position, so the least risky proposition now would be to embed ourselves 100% within the EU. Possibly even dispose of the pound in order to try for control of the Euro. There is a huge prize available here, but not if you're not in the game.
I'm not sure, anymore. When I see Angela Merkel, a person I admired, offering to let all the immigrants into Germany that wanted to go there and, afterwards, getting cold feet and refusing them entry when they are in Europe, already, and in countries that never did want them but are, now, saddled with them, I despair.

This is the fault of one country and we are 28--all speaking different languages, trying to make laws that need only one vote to block.

As a person who likes the idea of a EU, I'm not sure if we are dreaming.
Splitlink is offline   Reply With Quote