Volatility stop loss

This is a discussion on Volatility stop loss within the Forex forums, part of the Markets category; Hi there, I'm new to FX trading but I have traded shares before. Looking to trade FX on a mid ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:06pm   #1
Joined Feb 2011
Volatility stop loss

Hi there,
I'm new to FX trading but I have traded shares before.
Looking to trade FX on a mid to long term basis, based on fundamentals. Trying to figure out a volatility stop loss using ATR but not sure how many periods I should go for.
Can anyone help?
mcginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2017, 4:55pm   #2
Joined Feb 2002
Depends on your horizon for wanting to stay in the trade, but I have heard of 2 x ATR14 being recommended in long-term trend-following. See rayner teo on Youtube.

I have used 2ATR once or twice in the absence of a more rational TA-based price level.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:00pm   #3
Joined Feb 2011
mcginty started this thread Hi Tom,
Thanks for your answer. I aim to hold positions for weeks or months.
mcginty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2017, 5:05pm   #4
Joined Feb 2002
Then rayner teo should definitely be interesting. Nice youtube channel, terrible website.
Thanks! The following members like this post: mcginty
Old Sep 20, 2017, 5:40am   #5
Joined Sep 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcginty View Post
Hi there,
I'm new to FX trading but I have traded shares before.
Looking to trade FX on a mid to long term basis, based on fundamentals. Trying to figure out a volatility stop loss using ATR but not sure how many periods I should go for.
Can anyone help?
Observe market non-stop for several month and you will work out mental stops as well as S/R levels where majority of market stops can be piled up. But without bank flow it's impossible to determine actual S/R which give edge to institutional brokers.

ATR and other technical stuff is basically useless.
gerryg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2017, 7:48am   #6
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by gerryg View Post
Observe market non-stop for several month and you will work out mental stops as well as S/R levels where majority of market stops can be piled up. But without bank flow it's impossible to determine actual S/R which give edge to institutional brokers.

ATR and other technical stuff is basically useless.

Not useless, just not 100% reliable.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 12:05pm   #7
Joined Apr 2017
I trade using a safety stop loss > 30 pips at order entry on my favorite trading period of 15 minutes. My ôreal ôstop loss is notional or mental. As the trade progresses, I tighten up the stop loss based on the ATR and the price action. If the trade is moving against me, I will place my mental stop loss and let the market take me out or turn around and go back to breakeven.
Peter Borren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 1, 2017, 7:09pm   #8

9 Posts
Joined Sep 2017
I prefer to use soft stops. I like to get out at best price even if it is a loss.