Sterling 2017

This is a discussion on Sterling 2017 within the Forex forums, part of the Markets category; Here we go again... This time we have complications in the mix with brexit but nonetheless we have a developing ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:04am   #1
Joined Jul 2008
Sterling 2017

Here we go again...

This time we have complications in the mix with brexit but nonetheless we have a developing framework for rate increases with inflation forecast to be 2.7% by the end of 2017. The data in the uk has shown to be resilient and we have seen a huge depreciation in sterling which opens up opportunity. As ever timing is going to need to be ballpark but doesn't need to be precise and pairing this trade (long sterling) is going to be key to avoid high rollover costs on holding time. I have yet to do analysis on pairing but will do that over the course of this month. So here is a heads up for another long term trade in planning.
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: Atilla
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:20am   #2
Joined Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by forker View Post
Here we go again...

This time we have complications in the mix with brexit but nonetheless we have a developing framework for rate increases with inflation forecast to be 2.7% by the end of 2017. The data in the uk has shown to be resilient and we have seen a huge depreciation in sterling which opens up opportunity. As ever timing is going to need to be ballpark but doesn't need to be precise and pairing this trade (long sterling) is going to be key to avoid high rollover costs on holding time. I have yet to do analysis on pairing but will do that over the course of this month. So here is a heads up for another long term trade in planning.
i hope you are right, Looking at GBP/USD is depressing

needs to clear 1.28 on that pair to have based out i would have thought.

Donald Trump effect could well shake things up towards the end of the month!
Chalky_trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:47pm   #3
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by forker View Post
Here we go again...

I think we will have a mixed bag in 2017 for GBP ........i'll certainly go bull when i feel it merits buying ..........last month or so is not the time yet though......

N
Attached Thumbnails
gbp-2016-2017.jpg  
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:14pm   #4

Joined Nov 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
I think we will have a mixed bag in 2017 for GBP ........i'll certainly go bull when i feel it merits buying ..........last month or so is not the time yet though......

N
Looks like you're quite an emotional trader

PS you could put that chart in the ART thread too imo.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:59pm   #5
tar

Joined Nov 2006
tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:03pm   #6
Joined Jul 2008
forker started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by tar View Post
That's against? € or $
forker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:15pm   #7

Joined Nov 2006
Sterling and Euro's fate linked to Brexit.

1.15 is very pessimistic so I'm guessing ($) that's a hard Brexit.

I can't see a hard Brexit serving neither UK or EU and sense (money) should prevail over emotions. One hopes at least anyhow.

I'd hazard a guess with

1.22 as major three levels of support for now.

1.15 is nightmare-ish...
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:25pm   #8
tar

Joined Nov 2006
Aside from Brexit .. etc , a strong dollar and a weak Euro will take cable down few % easily , 1.15 isnt that far , i expect it to fluctuate in the teens and 20s .
tar is offline   Reply With Quote