Tracking SLM Entry Delay

This is a discussion on Tracking SLM Entry Delay within the Forex Net Trap forums, part of the T2W Archive category; Originally Posted by jonboysport havent had a problem since i close and re login before 6.30 Can I ask, do ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 28, 2011, 8:32pm   #61

Joined Apr 2010
Re: Tracking SLM Entry Delay

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboysport View Post
havent had a problem since i close and re login before 6.30
Can I ask, do you mean just close down SLM then launch it again? Or do you mean you actually log out of MT4, close it and then launch SLM again an log back in with password and account number?

M
mark120169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2011, 6:40am   #62
Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark120169 View Post
Can I ask, do you mean just close down SLM then launch it again? Or do you mean you actually log out of MT4, close it and then launch SLM again an log back in with password and account number?

M
I just close slm and reopen Mark,trades bang on time after that
jonboysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 7:22am   #63
Joined Jan 2011

Today I had one trade open 6 minutes late, and the other one didn't open at all, so I think I am going to have to try manually closing and re-opening SLM just before 6.30am as well.
djeyewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2011, 10:00am   #64

Joined Mar 2010

AlexM started this thread 2011.07.21 06:30:08 stdlib GBPUSDSB,M15: loaded successfully

2011.07.21 06:30:08 FNTTraderAI_v007 GBPUSDSB,M15: GBPUSDSB: trade error (6): no connection with trade server: retrying

Two different platforms two different errors.
Exactly the same opening result, 24 second delay this morning,
Both opened at 1.61693, one hit lock in @29 and closed at +25 the other missed and closed on my trailing stop at +16....

In general the delay has both saved and lost pips in the past, it seems to be just poor performance of SLM servers and they definitely give different data feeds to separate accounts, not much different but sometimes a pip or two.
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 6:57am   #65
Joined Jan 2011

Well I closed and re-opened SLM MT4 at 6:30 today, one trade it took at 6:30, but the other had a 3 minute 20s delay, so it doesn't seem that refreshing MT4 helps much.
djeyewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:13am   #66

Joined Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by djeyewater View Post
Well I closed and re-opened SLM MT4 at 6:30 today, one trade it took at 6:30, but the other had a 3 minute 20s delay, so it doesn't seem that refreshing MT4 helps much.
Interesting, after behaving for some time now suddenly my 6.30 trade doesn't kick in until 6.33:14.... with no error messages

Very fishy!

-S
fwloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 7:28pm   #67
Joined Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwloop View Post
Interesting, after behaving for some time now suddenly my 6.30 trade doesn't kick in until 6.33:14.... with no error messages

Very fishy!

-S
Yeah SLM isn't great with its entries. Unfortunately we don't currently have any other choice if we want MT4 + spreadbetting.

We need Capital Spreads to launch an MT4 solution. I might suggest it to them, although I'm sure they've already considered it and have probably got good reasons for not going that route.
goldfinger777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2011, 10:54pm   #68

Joined Feb 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fwloop View Post

Very fishy!

-S
What makes you think it's fishy, after 4 wins in a row?
peterf1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 8:45am   #69

Joined Aug 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterf1966 View Post
What makes you think it's fishy, after 4 wins in a row?
The fact that it took over 3 minutes for my trade to be accepted by the SLM Server!
fwloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2011, 10:02am   #70
Joined Jun 2010

My SLM trades are typically delayed by about 20 seconds most days.

So not quite as bad as what some of you are experiencing, but still not exactly great either!

Then again, I am running about 15 EAs across live and a demo SLM accounts, so this could be impacting trade entry time too LOL!
Old Jul 24, 2011, 8:55am   #71
Joined May 2009

Quote:
The only i can get it to trade on time is close slm reopen so it logs back in.you obviously have to get up for this so no bloody point having an ea
Use task scheduler?
me1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 9:10am   #72
Joined Jun 2010

Quote:
The only i can get it to trade on time is close slm reopen so it logs back in.you obviously have to get up for this so no bloody point having an ea
JonBoy it's aworth analysing your internet connection and your latency to the SLM server to try and diagnose the issues you're having.

You should not have to keep on closing down and restarting MT4.

My SLM MT4 and EAs run 24/7 uninterupted on a VPS. I do get a slight delay on entry at 06:30, but it's usually no more than 20 seconds which is OK.

To check what latency your connection has to the SLM trade server, do the following:

1. Start > Run.
2. CMD
3. In the command line window, enter the following:

ping 89.16.250.40

This will tell you how long it takes for your PC to send a data packet to the SLM live trade server, and receive a response back.

Ideally you're looking for a latency figure of 10ms or less. Anything higher than that and it could be negatively impacting your trade entry times.

I get 3ms on my VPS.
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:15am   #73
Joined Sep 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldfinger777 View Post
JonBoy it's aworth analysing your internet connection and your latency to the SLM server to try and diagnose the issues you're having.

You should not have to keep on closing down and restarting MT4.

My SLM MT4 and EAs run 24/7 uninterupted on a VPS. I do get a slight delay on entry at 06:30, but it's usually no more than 20 seconds which is OK.

To check what latency your connection has to the SLM trade server, do the following:

1. Start > Run.
2. CMD
3. In the command line window, enter the following:

ping 89.16.250.40

This will tell you how long it takes for your PC to send a data packet to the SLM live trade server, and receive a response back.

Ideally you're looking for a latency figure of 10ms or less. Anything higher than that and it could be negatively impacting your trade entry times.

I get 3ms on my VPS.
Thanks for the info GF,ive only got 30ms,on my pc,but what i dont understand is if i have a poor speed,why when i close mt4 and reopen do i get exactly the 6.30 open price why is it not delayed as i still have the poor speed?
jonboysport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 11:16am   #74

Joined Mar 2010

AlexM started this thread 18ms from 1&1 VPS for me.
Which VPS provider are you with Goldfinger?
AlexM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2011, 2:23pm   #75
Joined Jun 2010

Quote:
Thanks for the info GF,ive only got 30ms,on my pc,but what i dont understand is if i have a poor speed,why when i close mt4 and reopen do i get exactly the 6.30 open price why is it not delayed as i still have the poor speed?
Not sure why you're having that specific problem, although it could be related to MT4 hogging some memory while it's open.

Here are some things you can do to reduce the memory that MT4 uses while it is open:

* Right-click the MarketWatch window and select "Hide All" to remove any unused price feeds.

* Limit the number of candles in the chart history to 5000.

* Create a batch script and run it as a scheduled task to cleardown MT4 logs on a daily basis.

Let me know if you need more info on how to do any of these things.