NetTrap Metatrader Expert Advisor

This is a discussion on NetTrap Metatrader Expert Advisor within the Forex Net Trap forums, part of the T2W Archive category; Originally Posted by SpindriftUK Hi Dubai Looks ok, I think. First trade - £3000 x 3% = £90 / 40pips ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:04am   #46

Joined Apr 2010
Re: NetTrap Metatrader Expert Advisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpindriftUK View Post
Hi Dubai

Looks ok, I think. First trade - £3000 x 3% = £90 / 40pips = £2.25 per pip. As convertToGBP is set to true, the program converts the stake into $. Not sure what conversion rate the tester is picking up (the EA uses the GBP/USD Ask) but it looks like about 1.64, so £2.25 is converted to $3.70. This number is converted to lots depending on the accounts lot size, hence the first stake of 0.37 lots.

The last trade works out (roughly) as £4230 x 3% = £126.90 / 40 pips = £3.17 per pip. Converted to USD with an exchange rate of around 1.6 gives $5.07 or about 0.51 lots per pip.

Cheers,
Greg
Thank god for Smart Live Markets for trading MT4! It's a hell of a lot simpler knowing 1 lot is £1 fixed, or is it 10p? Anyway I know when I set volume to 1.00 it's £1 pip and 0.10 is 10p a pip. Simples.

M
mark120169 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:14am   #47
Joined May 2009

If standard acc, Mark, 1 lot should be £10.
Dubai is offline Trading system vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:31am   #48
Joined Dec 2006

SpindriftUK started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubai View Post
If standard acc, Mark, 1 lot should be £10.
SML is, in effect, a mini account, with lot sizes of 10000 (as opposed to 100000 on a standard account). Therefore, 1 lot = £1. (I'm not sure how they reconcile that to the market, where lot sizes are measured in US $ but luckily, we don't have to worry about that! )

In the EA, I calculate a multiplier based on the internal field LOTSIZE, which I divide by 10000. Therefore, for a standard account, multiplier will be 10, for a mini, 1 and for a micro, 0.1. The calculated amount per pip is divided by this multiplier, thus giving the correct lot size equivalent for the account; e.g. in SML, £5 per pip beccomes 5 lots, as the multiplier is 1. On an Alpari standard account, the multiplier is calculated as 10, so £5 per pip converts to, say, $8, which is then converted to 0.8 lots.

Cheers,
Greg
SpindriftUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:32am   #49
Joined Dec 2006

Quote:
Thanks Greg, think I spoke too soon!

Would you mind testing those parameters and see what you come back with for full yr data and the same period i tested so I can see diff in the modelling quality.

I don't think anyone trades INT40/40 do they?
I'll give it a go!

Cheers,
Greg
Old Oct 22, 2010, 10:59am   #50
Joined Dec 2006

Quote:
Hi Greg,

pls see attached.

Modelling quality is pretty poor, need to update my history over w.end.

Looking at lots, they do increase, but thought it'd be slightly more. Probably me just being a wally.
I suggest you download MT from alpari.ru http://www.alpari.ru/download/mt/mt4setup.exe

Change the max bars in history and max bars on chart to the largest possible (putting in as many nines as possible seems to have the desired effect). Then use the History Centre to download the 1 minute data and the Period Converter script to recalculate all the other time frames (e.g. run it once for each TF you're interested in (e.g. 5, 15, 60, etc)). The 5 minute conversion takes a minute or so, which always seems just too long to me!

I find that I need to run the period converter every time I start to get the mismatched data errors in the journal. Here's an explanation of why that is required: http://forum.mql4.com/32463#326907

Hope this helps and that I'm not "teaching my grandmother to suck eggs"

Cheers,
Greg
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:13am   #51
Joined May 2009

Hi Greg,

I'm familiar with d/loading history, don't worry! lol.
Dubai is offline Trading system vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:26am   #52
Joined Dec 2006

Quote:
Hi Greg,

I'm familiar with d/loading history, don't worry! lol.

I was having a lot of hassle with Alpari UK's history, specifically the fact that it was missing a chunk of 1 minute data from 2010.05.07 23:00 to 2010.07.08:35 inclusive. That's when I went searching through the forums and found out that Alpari Russia's data was, at least, complete.

Cheers,
Greg
Old Oct 22, 2010, 2:18pm   #53

Joined Apr 2010

I know you like a challenge Spindrift, so I have been looking at all the settings ready to live trial in SLM on monday and realised I could see nothing about the trigger and spread setting.

As we know the trigger is always 2 pips +2 on a buy order, -2 on a sell order. However on Buy orders we also have to add the "spread" which is usually 3 pips on IG Index , ETX, CMC markets etc. So on Buy orders with IG Index we add +5 on the 6.15 to 6.30 high.

But, with a 2 pip spread such as SLM this shouls realy be +4 (+2 trigger and +2 spread) to ensure you have the competitive advantage vs IG Index. Since both will trigger off the "Ask" price when SLM say buys @ 15800 (15796+4) , IG Index will buy @ 15801 (15796+5).

I can see no setting for the spread regarding buy orders so I assume you have hard coded the trigger and spread in, but at what spread? 2 pips or 3 pips?

So................. can you add an option to specify the spread for buy orders for different MT4 brokers (or are the all 2 pips on cable?) and it will then add this to the 2 pip trigger to be added to the 6.15 - 6.30 high price to create entry price.

M
Old Oct 22, 2010, 3:35pm   #54
Joined Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark120169 View Post
I know you like a challenge Spindrift, so I have been looking at all the settings ready to live trial in SLM on monday and realised I could see nothing about the trigger and spread setting.

As we know the trigger is always 2 pips +2 on a buy order, -2 on a sell order. However on Buy orders we also have to add the "spread" which is usually 3 pips on IG Index , ETX, CMC markets etc. So on Buy orders with IG Index we add +5 on the 6.15 to 6.30 high.

But, with a 2 pip spread such as SLM this shouls realy be +4 (+2 trigger and +2 spread) to ensure you have the competitive advantage vs IG Index. Since both will trigger off the "Ask" price when SLM say buys @ 15800 (15796+4) , IG Index will buy @ 15801 (15796+5).

I can see no setting for the spread regarding buy orders so I assume you have hard coded the trigger and spread in, but at what spread? 2 pips or 3 pips?

So................. can you add an option to specify the spread for buy orders for different MT4 brokers (or are the all 2 pips on cable?) and it will then add this to the 2 pip trigger to be added to the 6.15 - 6.30 high price to create entry price.

M
Hi Mark

Spread is something which is easily calculated; i.e. it's the Ask less the Bid, so the EA calculates it. The 2 pip trigger is hard coded - I could see no reason to make it variable, although it would be easy enough to do.

What you could do is drag the EA onto your chart now. Initially, it will just say that the trading period has passed. If you were to change the trade period start and end times to a couple of hours into the future, the program will start telling you about the "likely" trade parameters. You would then be able to check out the way it calculates entry point, based on the currently forming bar.

One thing you will notice is that on a 5 d.p. pair like SML's GBP/USD, the EA will round the high or low to 4 d.p. So, for example, I notice at the moment on the SML demo that the low of the currently forming bar is 1.56998 and the program is suggesting that the likely entry point will be 1.5698; i.e. 1.56998 is rounded to 1.5700 and then, as it's a sell, 2 pips is taken off. Rounding is done in the usual way so even had the low been 1.56995, the entry point would still be 1.5698. Hope that makes sense!

Otherwise, why not just download a demo from SML and have a play with the EA - maybe even fire up the Strategy Tester in visual mode.

Hope this helps,
Spin
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:01pm   #55
Joined Dec 2006

Quote:
Thanks Greg, think I spoke too soon!

Would you mind testing those parameters and see what you come back with for full yr data and the same period i tested so I can see diff in the modelling quality.

I don't think anyone trades INT40/40 do they?
Hi Dubai

Attached are the reports from the two tests - interesting!

Cheers,
Greg
Attached Thumbnails
dubai-test-full-year.gif   dubai-test-3-months.gif  
Attached Files
File Type: htm Dubai test full year.htm (158.4 KB, 290 views)
File Type: htm Dubai test 3 months.htm (42.1 KB, 194 views)
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:40pm   #56
Joined May 2010

Quote:

I was having a lot of hassle with Alpari UK's history, specifically the fact that it was missing a chunk of 1 minute data from 2010.05.07 23:00 to 2010.07.08:35 inclusive. That's when I went searching through the forums and found out that Alpari Russia's data was, at least, complete.

Cheers,
Greg
Hi Greg,
Could you please post the link and what to do to fix those gaps.
Tanguero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2010, 4:52pm   #57

Joined Apr 2010

Quote:
Hi Mark

Spread is something which is easily calculated; i.e. it's the Ask less the Bid, so the EA calculates it. The 2 pip trigger is hard coded - I could see no reason to make it variable, although it would be easy enough to do.

Hope this helps,
Spin
Perfect. This is all I need to know. Cable 2 pip brokers automaticaly give the advantage on sell orders as we all buy on the same bid prce but sell on the ask price where the spread matters. Hence my query about the buy order. But this is all I need to know becasue this means SLM will trigger me into trades 1 pip less than IG Index for the same bid price level on a long trade.

Cheers spin. Live testing @ 10p pip all next week now.

M
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:37pm   #58
Joined Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark120169 View Post
Perfect. This is all I need to know. Cable 2 pip brokers automaticaly give the advantage on sell orders as we all buy on the same bid prce but sell on the ask price where the spread matters. Hence my query about the buy order. But this is all I need to know becasue this means SLM will trigger me into trades 1 pip less than IG Index for the same bid price level on a long trade.

Cheers spin. Live testing @ 10p pip all next week now.

M
Good luck! I've been trading live with it for a couple of weeks now and I haven't had any major problems (and I've corrected the minor ones). I'll looking forward to hearing how you get on.

Cheers,
Spin
Old Oct 22, 2010, 5:42pm   #59
Joined Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanguero View Post
Hi Greg,
Could you please post the link and what to do to fix those gaps.
Please see my reply to Dubai earlier in this thread. Basically, I...

downloaded a new demo MT4 from Alpari.ru (link in the earlier post)
changed the maximum bars in history and max bars in charts to the maximum
downloaded the 1 minute data from the History Centre
dragged the period converter script onto the 1 minute chart 7 times, changing the parameter to 5, 15, 30, 60, 240, 1440, 10080, respectively.

That should do it

Cheers,
Spin
Old Oct 22, 2010, 6:24pm   #60
Joined May 2010

Quote:
Please see my reply to Dubai earlier in this thread. Basically, I...

downloaded a new demo MT4 from Alpari.ru (link in the earlier post)
changed the maximum bars in history and max bars in charts to the maximum
downloaded the 1 minute data from the History Centre
dragged the period converter script onto the 1 minute chart 7 times, changing the parameter to 5, 15, 30, 60, 240, 1440, 10080, respectively.

That should do it

Cheers,
Spin
Great will try it this weekend. So much to test...
Tanguero is offline   Reply With Quote