Why did price spike on my broker but not on the FTSE?

This is a discussion on Why did price spike on my broker but not on the FTSE? within the Forex Brokers forums, part of the Commercial category; thanks for the info i appreciate you taking the time to explain.. (and good to have an idea of your ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Sep 17, 2017, 9:52pm   #33

Joined Oct 2015
thanks for the info i appreciate you taking the time to explain.. (and good to have an idea of your size! )

i think you're kinda missing the essential part of moving beyond the "beginner stage" though. the size that someone trades is entirely up to them. what takes you past the beginner stage is that you start making money, with some consistency, rather than losing it. you could even say breaking-even takes you to the next stage. that's how i basically define it.
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:45pm   #34
Joined Aug 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
thanks for the info i appreciate you taking the time to explain.. (and good to have an idea of your size! )

i think you're kinda missing the essential part of moving beyond the "beginner stage" though. the size that someone trades is entirely up to them. what takes you past the beginner stage is that you start making money, with some consistency, rather than losing it. you could even say breaking-even takes you to the next stage. that's how i basically define it.
Well, I don't know about that since I was just addressing the OP's point about trading small as a begginer. But when you start talking about the "beginner stage" the it all becomes very subjective.

I suppose the larger you trade the more beginner you think smaller sizes are.

The point was that trading in larger sizes IS different. For example, you can trade without a SL if you trade small say 1 ppp and you have 500 pound on margin then you could well be given a margin call if you have gone down by 250 points (50%). To hold this position you will have to top up by 250 pound, not a large sum.

Eventually the market will recover and you may eek out say 30points.

However , If you trade 10ppp and you have 5000 in account, you will have to cough up 2500 pound . That's a huge difference and a large chunk out of most ordinary people's finances.

So trading w/o a SL, hitting and hoping is not appropriate for larger size and 10ppp is nothing special.

Strategies for small sizes don't scale up well. That is the point.
wisefoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2017, 10:53pm   #35
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by wisefoolx View Post
As you alluded a CTA would indeed have millions exposure which is why they almost always use stop losses in 1 form or another. A 100 point drop for a penny trader is nothing but for larger sizes (even for large individual traders never mind CTAs) will be disasterous.
What do you know about it ? Are you a CTA ?
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:19pm   #36

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Well, I don't know about that since I was just addressing the OP's point about trading small as a begginer. But when you start talking about the "beginner stage" the it all becomes very subjective.

I suppose the larger you trade the more beginner you think smaller sizes are.

The point was that trading in larger sizes IS different. For example, you can trade without a SL if you trade small say 1 ppp and you have 500 pound on margin then you could well be given a margin call if you have gone down by 250 points (50%). To hold this position you will have to top up by 250 pound, not a large sum.

Eventually the market will recover and you may eek out say 30points.

However , If you trade 10ppp and you have 5000 in account, you will have to cough up 2500 pound . That's a huge difference and a large chunk out of most ordinary people's finances.

So trading w/o a SL, hitting and hoping is not appropriate for larger size and 10ppp is nothing special.

Strategies for small sizes don't scale up well. That is the point.
i know the points you were making previously you didn't need to reiterate them. however, thanks for expanding on how size can effect strategy - it made me think

What i was referring to is only your "50p/100p a point is beginner's stuff" type comments, this is where you sound like you are missing the point about trading, not the thread or whatever

Last edited by Kaeso; Sep 17, 2017 at 11:39pm.
Old Sep 17, 2017, 11:42pm   #37
Joined Aug 2017
Quote:

What i was referring to is only your "50p/100p a point is beginner's stuff" type comments
I was agreeing with the OP but if your view is different from that so be it, I don't see the problem.
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:04am   #38

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
I was agreeing with the OP but if your view is different from that so be it, I don't see the problem.
i dont recall OP saying he was a beginner
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:50am   #39
Joined Apr 2016
Quote:
Could be a case of: it takes one to know one.
EnlightenedJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2017, 2:14am   #40
Joined Aug 2017
Quote:
He did , see #19