Binary Hedge?

This is a discussion on Binary Hedge? within the Fixed Odds & Binary Betting forums, part of the Markets category; Hello, Could someone please tell me if I have this correct? On Binary Bet, One 'conventional' bet. Binary (Stake: $10): ...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 3, 2007, 12:25am   #1
 
8 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
Binary Hedge?

Hello,

Could someone please tell me if I have this correct?

On Binary Bet, One 'conventional' bet.

Binary (Stake: $10):
FTSE to close UP for 3 Jan
SELL 33.8 BUY 38.1

BUY @ 38.1
WIN = (100-38.1)* 10 = $619
LOSE = 10 * 38.1 = $381

Conventional:

FTSE to close Below 6310.90
Odds: $1.34
Hedge = $381/1.34 = $284.33

Outcomes:
FTSE Closes UP: Binary WIN $619 Conventional LOSE $284.33
NET WIN $333.67

FTSE Closes DOWN: Binary LOSE $381 Conventional WIN $381
NET EVEN

FTSE Closes UNCHANGED: Need to check the rules on this


Is this correct? Or have I missed something here?

many thanks!
tradewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2007, 1:16am   #2
 
BinarySoft Chris's Avatar
Joined May 2005
Your binary calculation is fine, but for decimal odds you lose $381 if FTSE is up, and win only 381 * 0.34 = $130 if FTSE is down. That's assuming you are *backing* in decimal odds at 1.34 on FTSE to finish down.
BinarySoft Chris is offline Software vendor   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2007, 10:53pm   #3
 
3 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
So technically could u use this on every trade and either win or break even????
therester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:18pm   #4
 
Blu-Ray's Avatar
Joined Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by therester
So technically could u use this on every trade and either win or break even????

No, his figures were worked out incorrectly.

If the FTSE finished down, then he would lose $381 on the binary bet and WIN $96.67 on the conventional bet, with an overall net loss of $284.33.



Blu-Ray
Blu-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:49pm   #5
 
3 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Ray
No, his figures were worked out incorrectly.

If the FTSE finished down, then he would lose $381 on the binary bet and WIN $96.67 on the conventional bet, with an overall net loss of $284.33.



Blu-Ray

SURELY THERE MUST BE A WAY TO HEDGE THESE BETS AT LEAST TO MAKE A MINIMAL LOSS RATHER THAN BREAKING EVEN?
therester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 12:59pm   #6
 
Blu-Ray's Avatar
Joined Mar 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by therester
SURELY THERE MUST BE A WAY TO HEDGE THESE BETS AT LEAST TO MAKE A MINIMAL LOSS RATHER THAN BREAKING EVEN?

Yes you can, but you would be placing a bet with the binary near 50 and the conventional bet around the 2.00 mark, so you would take a minimal loss, but you would also take a minimal win if correct.

Hope this helps

Blu-Ray
Blu-Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2007, 1:04pm   #7
 
3 Posts
Joined Jan 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Ray
Yes you can, but you would be placing a bet with the binary near 50 and the conventional bet around the 2.00 mark, so you would take a minimal loss, but you would also take a minimal win if correct.

Hope this helps

Blu-Ray


PLEASE EXPLAIN????
therester is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Texas Hedge Dunedin Forex 3 Oct 11, 2005 11:41pm
Texas Hedge JonnyT Forex 6 Oct 4, 2005 3:31pm
Oil? A Hedge mickandpete Commodities & Money Markets 0 Sep 20, 2005 3:09pm
What is a hedge fund? soosta Home Trader 13 Nov 26, 2004 2:24pm
What is a Hedge or Hedging? chrismallee Futures & Options 6 Sep 17, 2003 2:22am

Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)