'The Naked Trader' - opinions?

This is a discussion on 'The Naked Trader' - opinions? within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hey, I'm in the process of reading as much as I can about shares etc, with the aim to use ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 22, 2010, 10:22am   #1

9 Posts
Joined Mar 2010
'The Naked Trader' - opinions?

Hey,

I'm in the process of reading as much as I can about shares etc, with the aim to use them as a 'more effective savings account' than anything a bank can give me (i.e. I don't have dreams of 'doubling up overnight' or becoming a millionaire playing the markets).

A member on the MoneySavingExpert forum suggested the 'Naked Trader' book as a good introduction (he suggests the ADVFN site and a couple of other resources) and I was wondering whether anyone had any opinions on, er, well his opinions?

It seems that everyone has different ways of doing it (and a lot of the time 'everyone but them is wrong') so I'm trying to get a balanced a picture as possible. Any advice would be gratefully received!

Adam
adam_dynamic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:46pm   #2
Joined Sep 2009
Re: 'The Naked Trader' - opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam_dynamic View Post
Hey,

I'm in the process of reading as much as I can about shares etc, with the aim to use them as a 'more effective savings account' than anything a bank can give me (i.e. I don't have dreams of 'doubling up overnight' or becoming a millionaire playing the markets).

A member on the MoneySavingExpert forum suggested the 'Naked Trader' book as a good introduction (he suggests the ADVFN site and a couple of other resources) and I was wondering whether anyone had any opinions on, er, well his opinions?

It seems that everyone has different ways of doing it (and a lot of the time 'everyone but them is wrong') so I'm trying to get a balanced a picture as possible. Any advice would be gratefully received!

Adam
I read this book at christmas, and am now following his techniques which made alot of sense to me. I think the key things that I feel work for me are:
- Trading stocks based on fundamentals and price action over medium term 2+ months. It made me realize trying to trade on timescales of days or less is for the fool hardy or the extremely clever chaps!
- The cliche, "Running the winners" and "Cutting the losers", and choosing Targets/Stops.
- Using ADVFN for fundamental research, works fairly well even with the free account.
- Some very useful tips and comments, eg.how to read company reports etc..

Anyway, so far i'm happy with trading this way, especially given the down and up this year so far...!
leonarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:34pm   #3

Joined Nov 2007

I've never actually read his book, thought about it but never got into the equities game seriously. I've had a look through it before and seems quite good and it's something i've recommended to people before who were starting from nothing. I did read his site every now and then and did trade one of his shares that he'd bought and he seems to do pretty well from it. I'm sure you could do a lot worse than him in this business.
Masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:54pm   #4
Joined Jan 2010

'Naked Trader' was one of the first ever books I read when I got into investing and trading. Looking back now, I'd say it serves as a good intro to the whole thing. However, the style in which he writes the books seems rather *too* casual. He makes investing sound a little too easy (im sure its easy for Robbie Burns but for newbies starting out, you dont want to be fooled into thinking this way).

For a better (IMO) and more detailed book into investing, trading, the different types of markets, IPO's, supply and demand, and generally how markets work, I would recommend the 'Financial Times Guide to Investing' by Glen Arnold. This was the second book that I bought on the subject and at over 500pages long it maybe a bit of a dry read but its more impartial and more detailed Robbis Burns book.

But in all honesty, all the info you need is actually on this website. I know this has been drummed into everyones mind again and again but its the true. What's even better is that the info found here is FREE!

Pi3141 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 4:27pm   #5
Joined Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi3141 View Post
'Naked Trader' was one of the first ever books I read when I got into investing and trading. Looking back now, I'd say it serves as a good intro to the whole thing. However, the style in which he writes the books seems rather *too* casual. He makes investing sound a little too easy (im sure its easy for Robbie Burns but for newbies starting out, you dont want to be fooled into thinking this way).

For a better (IMO) and more detailed book into investing, trading, the different types of markets, IPO's, supply and demand, and generally how markets work, I would recommend the 'Financial Times Guide to Investing' by Glen Arnold. This was the second book that I bought on the subject and at over 500pages long it maybe a bit of a dry read but its more impartial and more detailed Robbis Burns book.

But in all honesty, all the info you need is actually on this website. I know this has been drummed into everyones mind again and again but its the true. What's even better is that the info found here is FREE!

Yes, I must also agree Robbie makes it sound rather too easy...!
leonarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2010, 11:21pm   #6
LMR

8 Posts
Joined Mar 2009

Totally agree with the rest of the troops!

The book is a good introduction for getting to grips with spreads and fundamentals and there are some basic charting references in there too but nothing too heavy.

Some good basics to get you started but dont just rely on ADVFN like the book suggests-use this forum and the net have a good scout around!
LMR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2010, 1:45am   #7
Joined Oct 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonarda View Post
- Trading stocks based on fundamentals and price action over medium term 2+ months. It made me realize trying to trade on timescales of days or less is for the fool hardy or the extremely clever chaps!
What is it that is quoted all over T2W 85% of day traders fail, or is it 90%?

There is probably a good reason the Naked Trader would avoid the time scales of day trading.
Old Mar 23, 2010, 2:40am   #8

Joined Dec 2009

I think Naked Trader is an excellent book to be honest. It provides a 'rounded' approach to swing trading.

You can find more formal books and get into some heavy TA but it won't help. Just go with Naked Trader, get into some trades with very small position sizes (just 10-20 shares at a time) and get some market experience.