'The Naked Trader' - opinions?

This is a discussion on 'The Naked Trader' - opinions? within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; If you want a good book to read about investing, buy "The Intelegent Investor" by Benjamin Graham. The naked trader ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 20, 2011, 11:34am   #9

8 Posts
Joined Jan 2011
Re: 'The Naked Trader' - opinions?

If you want a good book to read about investing, buy "The Intelegent Investor" by Benjamin Graham.

The naked trader is just a wide guy making money on his web site from referals.
JohnTurnbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:26pm   #10
Joined Sep 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTurnbull View Post
The naked trader is just a wide guy making money on his web site from referals.

I strongly disagree, you obviously haven't read his book!
His methods are very sound and sensible.
leonarda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:28pm   #11
Joined Jan 2005

i'm inclined to agree with the views already here. As a start it's ok and makes light reading about an otherwise difficult and often boring topic.

He does have lots of experience now and can probably relax a lot more than his readers could ever do but as always, use the book to provoke your own thoughts and the further reading material will emerge as you notice the gaps in your knowledge.

He is a bit of a wideboy and does try to sell almost everything through his book and website that is true as he is quite well known. As always, there are seminars to attend at a discount for owners of the book, rebates on data subscriptions etc. He is also generating other unrelated income via pay per click ads on his site or trying to get people to change internet/electricity provider etc.

--Don't mock stupid dwarves. It's not big and it's not clever!--

Last edited by coopster; Jan 20, 2011 at 12:33pm.
coopster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2011, 12:58pm   #12

8 Posts
Joined Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonarda View Post
I strongly disagree, you obviously haven't read his book!
His methods are very sound and sensible.
Actually, I just read his "Guide to Spread Betting" and yes, his advice is sound and sensible. Unfortunately it is just the sound and sensible advice that anyone who knows anything about the subject could give! The book, which I read in about 2 hours, was a complete waste of eight quid.

What really anoys me about this guy is that farse of a portfolio he publishes on his web site. - Ask him to tell people what he is about to buy on Wednesday instead of what he bought on Monday LOL
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:33pm   #13
Joined Sep 2009

Quote:
Actually, I just read his "Guide to Spread Betting" and yes, his advice is sound and sensible. Unfortunately it is just the sound and sensible advice that anyone who knows anything about the subject could give! The book, which I read in about 2 hours, was a complete waste of eight quid.

What really anoys me about this guy is that farse of a portfolio he publishes on his web site. - Ask him to tell people what he is about to buy on Wednesday instead of what he bought on Monday LOL
You want to read his original book, it has far more content than the spread betting book, which as he states is just an addition to his original book to talk about spread betting.

He state on his website what he has bought that week and why, sounds pretty good advice to me...! just as good as saying what he is about to buy and why, can see much difference there!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:49pm   #14

8 Posts
Joined Jan 2011

Quote:

"He state on his website what he has bought that week and why, sounds pretty good advice to me...! just as good as saying what he is about to buy and why, can see much difference there! "

I'm sorry Leonarda but if you can't see the difference between someone telling you he can pick the lottery winning number the day before the lottery and someone telling you they can pick it the day after the lottery, you are a con artists dream target!
Old Jan 20, 2011, 1:56pm   #15
Joined Sep 2009

Quote:
Quote:

"He state on his website what he has bought that week and why, sounds pretty good advice to me...! just as good as saying what he is about to buy and why, can see much difference there! "

I'm sorry Leonarda but if you can't see the difference between someone telling you he can pick the lottery winning number the day before the lottery and someone telling you they can pick it the day after the lottery, you are a con artists dream target!
lol, you obviously haven't read his first book!
He holds trades from a month up to anything like a year, we're talking medium term trades. So if you're trying to say he is telling us what trades he entered on monday, when he actually didn't because he wanted to wait 2 days to see which way it moved before telling us, then that's silly!
The whole point of what he is saying is "educating" people based publicising his decision process in the current market environment. He could have bought XYZ last friday for all I care, I'm not going to go and buy it that's not the point (you shouldn't copy other people's trades), I want to learn based on his research notes as to how he picks stocks etc...
Old Jan 20, 2011, 2:00pm   #16
Joined Sep 2009

Quote:
Quote:

eg.from this weeks post, quote:
"I bought some RPC, £30 spreadbet at 240. I thought the acquisition looked pretty good along with the fundraising and in time RPC could really motor from here so a medium term position intially for me targetting around 330. Stop 195."

You can see his thought process etc.. yes he's a bit gun-oh and relaxed, but then medium term trading is... sit back and watch the profit roll in...