Essentials Of 'New to Trading'

This is a discussion on Essentials Of 'New to Trading' within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; What is trailing stop? How to place it? can any body describe in full?...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:21pm   #9

2 Posts
Joined Jun 2011
Re: Essentials Of 'First Steps'

What is trailing stop? How to place it? can any body describe in full?
anwar4800 is offline Spread Betting Company   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2011, 12:36pm   #10

Joined May 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by anwar4800 View Post
What is trailing stop? How to place it? can any body describe in full?
Trailing Stop

Last edited by timsk; Sep 17, 2012 at 4:14pm. Reason: Naming the link
barjon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21, 2011, 11:48am   #11
Joined Dec 2009

Whilst demo accounts are totally the right way to start the 'feeling' you get inside when you are trading live is quite different. It comes down to your confidence and belief in yourself and your trading strategies.
dlukic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 23, 2011, 10:42pm   #12

8 Posts
Joined Nov 2011

You make a lot of very good points, Tim. (I have tried starting a new thread for another discussion and it says I do not have permission. Can anyone offer advice as to how I can/why I cannot?)

Good writing and philosophy. You're dishing out good nuggets for new traders to embrace. I'd like to comment on your opinion on "gut instinct" and just point out a benign contradiction with what you said yourself: "Nothing works for everybody, and everything works for somebody." I'm sure is is all just wording and semantics, but I mean, what if that "gut instinct" is based on calm and rational decisions?

I realize the point you're making, and you're right, if I'm right about your point; watch the charts and try to take a guess as to where price is going and you will be astonished with how often you are completely wrong - no, I said that wrong. I meant to say, "you will be astonished with how often you take a loss." But that goes to the old adage you've advocated very well: "plan your trade and trade your plan." Just because you are in the red at the moment does not necessarily mean you were wrong. How many of us have taken our loss and the market magically started going our direction?

But to get back on topic, since I've been staring and staring at my charts for years on end, sometimes 80 hours a day (feels like, especially while in a position), I feel I have uncanny intuition, or "gut-feelings" right down to when the bid/ask will change and in what direction. While I do not trade based on that, I have found, through actually "tracking" my gut instinct, which I encourage all new traders do, that it would have been in my service if I had actually "listened to my gut," which refines itself more and more.

Through my personal "gut instinct" research I have come to find that, in my case, there are characteristic emotions I feel when I'm correct. When I say "correct" I don't mean the "trade" is correct, but whether I will win it or lose it. We all know it when we're hoping against hope in a hopeless trade, even before we're stopped out, and I think it would be good to learn to listen to that emotion. So if we learn to recognize those "characteristic emotions" I think we have a very powerful, and inimitable tool at our disposal, but this brings me to another point.

And I believe it helps explain why people "do so well in demo and then crash and burn live." It's called desire. Maybe we can start a whole new thread as to why, but most have trouble making money on the markets because they want to make money. I have a theory that if the were incentive to lose all of our money, it would be easy to make: if you tell a man who has never traded before that you will cut off his fingers if he does not lose all of his money on the markets in a week, he'd triple his account in 3 days. Just a theory.
blimpsesofpuregliss is offline Other (Please email T2W with details)   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: timsk
Old Dec 3, 2011, 10:10pm   #13

6 Posts
Joined Dec 2011

Very useful thread. I am newbie here, and am a part-time trader. But i intend to go full-time once i feel confident enough! Hope that happens soon

I have a tough time finding the right exit points. Quite often, i enter a trade, and it immediately moves in my direction. But instead of taking profits, i sit tight, hoping for the 'home-run". And then it reverses and hits my stop-loss! And this leaves me wretched. I now realize, i need to work hard on my exits. . Bad exits can make a good entry look bad and good exits can make a bad entry look good.

Last edited by dan79; Dec 4, 2011 at 7:30pm.
dan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6, 2011, 3:20pm   #14
Joined Dec 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan79 View Post
Very useful thread. I am newbie here, and am a part-time trader. But i intend to go full-time once i feel confident enough! Hope that happens soon

I have a tough time finding the right exit points. Quite often, i enter a trade, and it immediately moves in my direction. But instead of taking profits, i sit tight, hoping for the 'home-run". And then it reverses and hits my stop-loss! And this leaves me wretched. I now realize, i need to work hard on my exits. . Bad exits can make a good entry look bad and good exits can make a bad entry look good.
Your exit calculations can vary according to the strategy you are trading. I would definitely not try and look for a home run all the time - instead have a specific target exactly in the same way as you have a specific stop loss. Otherwise you are not trading, you are betting.
dlukic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2012, 11:35pm   #15
Joined Dec 2011

This information is extremely helpful and I've bookmarked this site. What is the typical progress for a newbie in trading? Does one usually start w/ stocks then move on to futures and options? Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best plan to become a knowledgable trader?
awesomo4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2012, 6:33pm   #16
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002

timsk started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomo4k View Post
This information is extremely helpful and I've bookmarked this site. What is the typical progress for a newbie in trading? Does one usually start w/ stocks then move on to futures and options? Does anyone have any suggestions on what is the best plan to become a knowledgable trader?
Hi awesomo4k,
Like moths to a flame, the typical progress for most newbies is to be attracted by what promises to make them as rich as possible in the shortest time possible. Currently, the bulk of ad's offering untold wealth recommend trading Forex. When I first started out it was options and then stocks.

I suggest you ignore the fads and follow the info' provided in this Sticky and the Trading FAQs. This will involve learning a little about all the markets and different mechanisms for trading them. Once you have a broad foundation of knowledge, you'll be better placed to make a decision about which is best for you.

As for becoming knowledgable, if you read the threads I've mentioned and follow the links provided in those threads, you'll end up with a very good base from which to build. Enjoy!
Tim.
Please note: I am part of T2W Admin' Staff - I am NOT a Moderator!
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote