Best Threads In The 'First Steps' Forum

This is a discussion on Best Threads In The 'First Steps' Forum within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; What are ‘Best Threads’ Stickies? The idea behind ‘Best Threads’ Stickies is to have a thread pinned permanently at the ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Nov 28, 2009, 6:26pm   #1
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
Best Threads In The 'First Steps' Forum

What are ‘Best Threads’ Stickies?
The idea behind ‘Best Threads’ Stickies is to have a thread pinned permanently at the top of every forum with links to threads within that forum that are of real merit with quality content. Listed here is the cream of the crop, the best threads in the First Steps forum!

How will they help me?
T2W is a big place and good threads can quickly get lost under a sea of newer ones. The links to the ‘Best Threads’ will save you the hassle of wading through the forum yourself, hoping to find the one that’s filled with pearls of wisdom!

What do I need to know about the list?
Each ‘Best Thread' is accompanied by a short précis outlining what it’s about. Threads don’t appear in any particular order, so the thread at the top of the list isn’t necessarily any better or more interesting than the one at the bottom of the list.

I’ve found a great thread which warrants ‘Best Thread’ status. Can it be added?
Sure! If you know of a great thread within this forum that isn’t listed here, either post your suggestion here or contact timsk Content Manager, with a link to the thread, saying what it’s about and what’s good about it and, all being well, it will be added.

The ‘Best Threads’ in the First Steps forum are:
The Basics of Trading
One of the classic threads from the early days of T2W. Sadly, like archive footage from the vaults of the BBC, some charts have been lost. Even so, it's well worth a read

I want to learn........
This thread provides a collection of links to some great threads that are especially useful for new traders starting out on their trading journey

Everything you always wanted to know about trading...but were afraid to ask!
Former proprietary trader and long standing member 'trader_dante' answers some of the questions regularly asked by new members. The thread is riddled with useful hints, tips and insights into what it takes to become a successful trader.

£10k wipeout
But for the grace of God . . . A chilling tale of what can happen to traders - and probably will happen - if they don't trade with discipline and utilise proper risk and money management strategies

The Best the internet has to offer
A veritable smorgasbord of links to sites all over the web, offering a huge variety of tools - many for free - that are of use to traders

Algorithmic Trading Experiences
A novice trader uses his computer skills to code algorithms based purely on technical analysis. Voted runner up in the 'Favourite Forum Thread' in the T2W Members' Choice Awards 2009, this thread is a must read for anyone interested in mechanical trading systems (as opposed to discretionary strategies).

Why You Are Failing - and What You Need to Do
If you're struggling to make progress, this thread might help!

Lessons from successful traders
Voted runner-up in the 'Favourite Forum Thread' category in the Members' Choice Awards 2011, this thread by Trader_Dante dispels a few myths and offers some insights into what successful traders do (and don't do) in order to become consistently profitable.

Last edited by timsk; Aug 17, 2013 at 12:44pm. Reason: Updating
timsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:28am   #2

Joined May 2008
re: Best Threads In The 'First Steps' Forum

i could recomend "The three ducks trading system" from Captain Currency, it is great for begginers and for experienced people who for any reason cant find time to follow news and macrotrends.

Last edited by timsk; Aug 17, 2013 at 12:49pm.
fayalac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2013, 4:06pm   #3
NVP

Joined Jun 2004

just my ideas for beginners ......for what its worth

N

i've been developing forex strengthmeters now for over 13 years - if you have questions or want to discuss Vendor products ask me for help ! What is a Forex Strengthmeter ? http://www.trade2win.com/boards/fore...rs-basics.html The FXCorrelator - All my Indicators & simple systems http://www.trade2win.com/boards/fore...ml#post2197030FXCorrelator.com is being updated .....so watch this space

Last edited by timsk; Aug 17, 2013 at 12:48pm.
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2013, 9:29am   #4
NVP

Joined Jun 2004

and for all of you tempted by the Learn to Trade Seminars (or "Sellinars")....read this first please !!

N

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/educ...ml#post2166264
i've been developing forex strengthmeters now for over 13 years - if you have questions or want to discuss Vendor products ask me for help ! What is a Forex Strengthmeter ? http://www.trade2win.com/boards/fore...rs-basics.html The FXCorrelator - All my Indicators & simple systems http://www.trade2win.com/boards/fore...ml#post2197030FXCorrelator.com is being updated .....so watch this space

Last edited by timsk; Aug 17, 2013 at 12:47pm.
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 6, 2014, 11:16am   #5
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Mar 2002
timsk started this thread Polite Notice!
Please note that this thread is to showcase the best threads in this forum. (The clue is in the title )

Therefore, please do not post general trading topics here. Only post comments that either relate to the best threads already listed in the opening post, or to highlight threads that you think warrant being listed and given the [Best Thread] prefix.

Thank you.
Tim.

Last edited by timsk; Feb 6, 2014 at 11:20am.
Old May 3, 2014, 8:27am   #6

7 Posts
Joined Jan 2014
Would propose my "when to go live" is one of the best threads: the exercise of learning what is needed to go live pretty much sums up the "first steps" in this business.

Thread covers using maths and statistics to determine when a trading strategy is viable, risk management, position sizing, volatility, and fees. Would be good to get some more feedback on what other traders are doing!
CompoundTrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2014, 9:26am   #7

Joined Mar 2002
timsk started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompoundTrader View Post
Would propose my "when to go live" is one of the best threads: the exercise of learning what is needed to go live pretty much sums up the "first steps" in this business.
Hi CompoundTrader,
Thanks for the suggestion.

Your thread has got off to a good start and could build into an excellent thread in due course. Keep it up!

Tim.