From a Prop Trading House to iBank.

This is a discussion on From a Prop Trading House to iBank. within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hello everybody, I've just been offered a graduate position as junior trader at a prop tading house and market maker. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 9, 2009, 10:15pm   #1

1 Posts
Joined Dec 2008
From a Prop Trading House to iBank.

Hello everybody,
I've just been offered a graduate position as junior trader at a prop tading house and market maker.
Before making my decision I was just wondering how are the exit opportunities after a couple of years. I would be interested in doing structuring in a top ibank. Do you think that ibanks look positivelly at this kinf of firms?
Many Thanks.
Chicco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 2009, 8:39am   #2

Joined Sep 2005
Unbelievable - I agree with GJ - Great Opportunity at a Prop Shop with Marking Making, and the guy wants to move (in my opinion) to a lesser postion with a bank.
Jeez - Get real about life !
bullcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:05am   #3

2 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
How would you guys comment on the possibility of a market maker in a prop house to move hedge funds / Ibank as a trader?

How do you think the career prospect of a market maker in a prop house?
Fingercrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 3:01pm   #4

2 Posts
Joined Feb 2009
No prospect? Just because of the bad market right now? Or it's the nature of market maker?
Fingercrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:05pm   #5

Joined Jan 2007
GammaJammer will hire the next person who posts on this thread, he promised me.
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:09pm   #6

Joined Nov 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabianights View Post
GammaJammer will hire the next person who posts on this thread, he promised me.
ME!!! What time do I start?
Masquerade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:10pm   #7
Joined Aug 2003
i love lamp

edit - damn you masq, and your lighting fast typing skills
candles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12, 2009, 4:12pm   #8

Joined Jan 2007
ha ha! I lied!
World's leading STIRs chatroom - www.propboards.com - register, then click on chat. Don't let the lack of posts on the forum put you off - the action happens in the chatroom. Targeted at locals, but hedge funds, brokers (including IDBs), market makers, and a few sizable amateurs are all represented. When it's quiet, banter is encouraged and anything goes.

No nuisance spread betters please. Anyone else welcome.
arabianights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 5:20pm   #9

Joined Nov 2008
You could always try calling up this firm that's offered you a job and asking them what the exit opportunities are like after a couple of years of them training/backing you, I mean it can't hurt*. Personally I would be questioning why I am thinking about my 2-year exit before I've even accepted the job; as GJ says since this isn't even a decent means to an end for you I'd be thinking long and hard.

*Don't actually do this.
Skill Leverage is offline   Reply With Quote