getting into automated trading

This is a discussion on getting into automated trading within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hello everyone ! i have been trading manually since 2016 now, but the success could be better. Now i want ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 24, 2018, 8:45am   #1

1 Posts
Joined Apr 2018
getting into automated trading

Hello everyone !

i have been trading manually since 2016 now, but the success could be better. Now i want to start with automated trading, but from what i have heard websites like markets.com cant really be trusted, so im looking for a good alternative website to get into it. Do you have any suggestions ?
george_bars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:19pm   #2

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by george_bars View Post
Hello everyone !

i have been trading manually since 2016 now, but the success could be better. Now i want to start with automated trading, but from what i have heard websites like markets.com cant really be trusted, so im looking for a good alternative website to get into it. Do you have any suggestions ?
Automation is the name of the game for me as well, but personally, I would not trust any service to host my code, the best is rent a small VPS for few bucks a month and code your own thing...

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:50pm   #3

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantt View Post
Automation is the name of the game for me as well, but personally, I would not trust any service to host my code, the best is rent a small VPS for few bucks a month and code your own thing...

ok, but need an API. Can't the broker see what you are doing?

I have a few ideas I'd like to code, but don't want anyone else peaking...when I start to rack some serious coin.

that kind of gets somebodies attention
Old Apr 26, 2018, 7:57pm   #4

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by piphoe View Post
ok, but need an API. Can't the broker see what you are doing?

I have a few ideas I'd like to code, but don't want anyone else peaking...when I start to rack some serious coin.

that kind of gets somebodies attention
Yep, sure you'll need a broker with API... The broker will see the trades no matter what anyway, but the logic and how exactly you did come up with the specific trade will be on your own system...

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:07pm   #5

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Yep, sure you'll need a broker with API... The broker will see the trades no matter what anyway, but the logic and how exactly you did come up with the specific trade will be on your own system...
ahh ok. brokers sees the executions, but they don't know the "why" because the code is on end on my equipment?
Old Apr 26, 2018, 8:15pm   #6

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
ahh ok. brokers sees the executions, but they don't know the "why" because the code is on end on my equipment?
Yes Sir!

Old Apr 26, 2018, 10:13pm   #7

Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Yes Sir!
What's the odds they might try to reverse engineer my great results? Should I have a few brokers to switch b/w periodically to circumvent this or am I overly paranoid?

IOW, very likely they even care??
Old Apr 27, 2018, 3:07pm   #8

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
What's the odds they might try to reverse engineer my great results? Should I have a few brokers to switch b/w periodically to circumvent this or am I overly paranoid?

IOW, very likely they even care??
Frankly, I don't think they would care much about small accounts, but if you are trading millions and making millions, you will end up on all compliance lists and reports and they will investigate you to make sure you are not gaming the system... From there, who knows, maybe they will try to copy your system, or more likely they will contact you and persuade you to take other high net worth individuals as clients and start a hedge fund...

Of course, in any case, should split your money between different brokers anyway, just in case one goes down (and have accounts maximum to the insured/government protected account size) and if you are paranoid enough, why not do random/fake trades as well to throw them off :-)

Old Apr 27, 2018, 4:28pm   #9

Joined Oct 2015
Thanks, Quantt what you say makes complete sense why would they care they are making bank off the commissions and they probably have their own trading/research dept. if at all. They wouldn't care about me nickle & dime'ing a small acct no matter how successful.