Can it really be part time

This is a discussion on Can it really be part time within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hi all, I've spent the last 3 years investing in funds which has given me a decent return. I have ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:23pm   #1
Joined Apr 2018
Can it really be part time

Hi all,

I've spent the last 3 years investing in funds which has given me a decent return. I have always been keen to understand the fundamentals and technicals of investing and I have spent the last 2 months reading as much as I can, watching videos, going through books. I just simply don't have the time to be a day trader more of a investor I guess.
My question is can this be a 'part time thing' ?

I've attempted to answer basic questions i feel may be asked

1 Do I want to make money - Yes, but can live without it as my full time job provides enough
2 Am I happy losing money....No but accept this will happen, although I mitigate risk
3 How much time can I put into research....Currrently approx 10 hours per week looking at fundamentals/ looking at charts etc..
4 What are my aims - To understand Technical and Fundamental analysis to the point of having a strategy, sticking to it while learning along the way
5 - how much money are we talking about - £4,000 at present

I fell I've learnt a lot, but still just lacking a total and complete strategy
soundmanshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:22am   #2
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundmanshane View Post
its up to you

are you saying you want to move away from the funds and trade the market more directly/actively ?
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:04am   #3

Joined Nov 2009
Quote:
Hi all,

I've spent the last 3 years investing in funds which has given me a decent return. I have always been keen to understand the fundamentals and technicals of investing and I have spent the last 2 months reading as much as I can, watching videos, going through books. I just simply don't have the time to be a day trader more of a investor I guess.

I've attempted to answer basic questions i feel may be asked

1 Do I want to make money - Yes, but can live without it as my full time job provides enough
2 Am I happy losing money....No but accept this will happen, although I mitigate risk
3 How much time can I put into research....Currrently approx 10 hours per week looking at fundamentals/ looking at charts etc..
4 What are my aims - To understand Technical and Fundamental analysis to the point of having a strategy, sticking to it while learning along the way
5 - how much money are we talking about - £4,000 at present

I fell I've learnt a lot, but still just lacking a total and complete strategy
4,000 admittedly isn't going to turn you into a millionaire. So whether it "works" for you is very much dependent on what precisely would constitute a successful endeavour and how good that strategy was..lets do some maths..

Suppose you had a strategy/invested that £4000 regularly, and in 15 years returned £56k. now that 50k isn't exactly alot, however its over 1000% return given you only started with a relatively small sum.
Had you put more into it each month for example, say £150 per month, that return is now in the region of £180k
that's assuming you had a strategy that was part time that could return 19% per annum.
So can it be a part time thing... why not?
malaguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:30am   #4
Joined Jul 2004
Just be careful with the fundamental thing if we enter a 3 year bear market

a buy the dip bull market is different than a brutal bear market
kalott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:36am   #5
Joined Apr 2018
soundmanshane started this thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
its up to you

are you saying you want to move away from the funds and trade the market more directly/actively ?
Yes, as much as funds are fun. it's not really what I want to do. I'd love to learn the market and gain a good understanding and challenge myself
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:40am   #6
Joined Apr 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by malaguti View Post
4,000 admittedly isn't going to turn you into a millionaire. So whether it "works" for you is very much dependent on what precisely would constitute a successful endeavour and how good that strategy was..lets do some maths..

Suppose you had a strategy/invested that £4000 regularly, and in 15 years returned £56k. now that 50k isn't exactly alot, however its over 1000% return given you only started with a relatively small sum.
Had you put more into it each month for example, say £150 per month, that return is now in the region of £180k
that's assuming you had a strategy that was part time that could return 19% per annum.
So can it be a part time thing... why not?
I should have added more detail around this. I have 4k currently invested, however I am looking at adding to that monthly as well at a rate of £200 per month (while putting away £300 into savings as cash)

The big question is where do I start to research my 'part time' strategy
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:43am   #7
Joined Apr 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalott View Post
Just be careful with the fundamental thing if we enter a 3 year bear market

a buy the dip bull market is different than a brutal bear market
I've learnt my lesson so far in the bear market. have lost about 30% over the last 6 months, albeit still up by about 14% over a 2 year period....Funds served me well
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:44am   #8

Joined Mar 2004
Of course it can be a hobby. Even a distraction from the spouse/kids with daily trading from your desk in the evening.
You must be able to afford your wedge. Personally I would think £4000 is much too much to risk initially. Get a free demo account and have some fun. Losing money cramps one's style and trial systems.
Maybe keep your ears open to getting a flying start with help from a winning trader.

for quality of life.

The Westcountry is being overrun with
grotty new estates
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:53am   #9
Joined Apr 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat494 View Post
Of course it can be a hobby. Even a distraction from the spouse/kids with daily trading from your desk in the evening.
You must be able to afford your wedge. Personally I would think £4000 is much too much to risk initially. Get a free demo account and have some fun. Losing money cramps one's style and trial systems.
Maybe keep your ears open to getting a flying start with help from a winning trader.
Where do I find winning traders ? too many people claiming to turn £100 into 1 million in 3 weeks etc..
Old Apr 20, 2018, 12:20pm   #10

Joined Jun 2008
Quote:
Where do I find winning traders ? too many people claiming to turn £100 into 1 million in 3 weeks etc..
your on your own with that one
jeffre4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2018, 1:09pm   #11
Joined Apr 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffre4 View Post
your on your own with that one
From what I hear no traders are winning lol. I read a lot they says trading doesn't make people money...Makes me wonder why people do it unless they are trying to keep their stash secret
Old Apr 20, 2018, 2:24pm   #12

Joined Jul 2017
Quote:
From what I hear no traders are winning lol. I read a lot they says trading doesn't make people money...Makes me wonder why people do it unless they are trying to keep their stash secret

The reason is simple, the more people/money are trading the same strategy, the less effective it will become and in the end will be arbitraged away, that's why you won't find any sane person, who will share his winning ideas with you...

There are no shortcuts in life, you have to put the work if you want to become a doctor, trader, etc...

Count de Money number 1 trading rule: EDUCATE YOURSELF!

Before you trade even single penny on the stock market, please spend the time and educate yourself by back testing different trading strategies and ideas - go to eBay and search for "historical stock market data", you can buy 20 years of data for less than $100 - that's all you need to start.
Quantt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2018, 11:08pm   #13
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Yes, as much as funds are fun. it's not really what I want to do. I'd love to learn the market and gain a good understanding and challenge myself
Ok well from my experience its best not to mix the two approaches because it will lead to lack of focus i.e. the long term holdings will impact your decision making on the shorter term. And this doesn't have to mean day trading. Maybe better that it doesn't initially.

Keep your size small, focus on consistency. Forget the money gained and risks taken while trading funds. Its not your strategy.

Last edited by Kaeso; Apr 21, 2018 at 9:55am.
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2018, 7:57am   #14

Joined Nov 2009
Quote:
I should have added more detail around this. I have 4k currently invested, however I am looking at adding to that monthly as well at a rate of £200 per month (while putting away £300 into savings as cash)

The big question is where do I start to research my 'part time' strategy
ok, so the question then isn't whether it can be part time, its now where do I start?
great, so what steps have you taken so far? as quantt says, i think you'll be pushing people to just come out and tell you how they've become a winning trader..
what hard work have you put into it so far?
where do you enter the market and why, where do you exit and why? historically, how has this performed and then where do you think you could have improved? start listing your conditions for a good entry, note where you could/should have exited earlier
what markets were you trading, are there better markets you could have chosen? could those same parameters earlier have contributed to a better outcome on a different market as not all strtategies are universal, although generally the good ones are
where are you going to start soundmanshane? let us help you on your journey, just don't expect me to ride the bus getting there. hope that helps
malaguti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2018, 8:39am   #15

Joined Mar 2004
Quote:
You could try asking around the forums but bearing in mind the traders that can probably won't be interested.

for quality of life.

The Westcountry is being overrun with
grotty new estates
Pat494 is offline   Reply With Quote