Best brokers for active ISA and SIPP traders

This is a discussion on Best brokers for active ISA and SIPP traders within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hi Harby I wish to do conservative strategies such as selling put options (back by cash) and writing covered calls. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 2, 2013, 7:48pm   #9
Joined Oct 2012
Re: Best brokers for active ISA and SIPP traders

Hi Harby
I wish to do conservative strategies such as selling put options (back by cash) and writing covered calls. I would also like to be allowed to buy call and put options. I trade stocks and ETFS that are listed on the US exchanges. I have heard that FXCM do SIPPS aswell as forex but could not confirm from their website - fxcm.co.uk. shame about IB. word of warning..avoid berkeley futures!!!
Original Options Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:00pm   #10

Joined Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Options Trader View Post
Hi Harby
I wish to do conservative strategies such as selling put options (back by cash) and writing covered calls. I would also like to be allowed to buy call and put options. I trade stocks and ETFS that are listed on the US exchanges. I have heard that FXCM do SIPPS aswell as forex but could not confirm from their website - fxcm.co.uk. shame about IB. word of warning..avoid berkeley futures!!!
Hi Original OT,

FXCM Securities offers SIPP accounts allowing you to trade stocks, futures and options in addition to forex. It's important to note that when trading in the financial markets, your capital is at risk. If you would like more information about our SIPP accounts, I can have one of my colleagues in our London office follow up with you. Just send me a private message, if you're interested.

Jason
Jason Rogers is offline Broker   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2013, 4:23pm   #11
Joined Oct 2012

Hi Jason
yes I would like that how do you do a private message ?
Original Options Trader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2013, 1:50am   #12

Joined Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Original Options Trader View Post
Hi Jason
yes I would like that how do you do a private message ?
You can use this link: http://www.trade2win.com/boards/priv...newpm&u=253840

Alternatively, you can email me at jrogers@fxcm.com
Old Aug 7, 2013, 2:03pm   #13

6 Posts
Joined May 2013

HarbyTrage started this thread Just to update this with my findings
For trading in an ISA there are a number of discount ex-only brokers and for me, at the time of writing (Aug 2013), iWeb looked to be the best all round compromise. £5 per deal, online execution (with phone backup), full suite of instruments and real-time pricing on UK. iWeb is a discount arm of Halifax share dealing, so they have some pedigree.

For trading in a SIPP its slightly more complex - straight equity trading can be done at great value for money through Sippdeal, iWeb also have a SIPP offering for straight equity trading and all the discount brokers with SIPP offerings are also the scheme administrator. This means that if you already have a scheme administrator you cannot appoint a discount broker with their own SIPP product as a nominated broker, you have to go direct to the discount broker.
If you want to be able to trade more exotic instruments (CFDs, Forex, Commodities etc.) it can be done but a scheme administrator is required that will allow the appointment of the broker of your choice. The choice of administrators is bewildering and there are very few resources on line to be able to compare them side by side. Independent Financial Advice (IFA) Nottingham | Best Buy Savings Tables | ISA's | Pension Annuity Calculator rate a mention here as this is one of the few websites contianing comprehensive information on a big range of SIPP providers. After a good deal of crunching, I shortlisted three SIPP providers that appeared suitable for me and these were Corporate & professional Pensions, Curtis Banks SIPP and InvestAcc Minerva SIPP. There are plenty more that will do the job, its just a question of checking they will allow what you want and assessing how much they charge for the privilege - everyone is likely to have their own specific circumstances and needs here, so (as always) DYOR. I plumped for one of the three listed above and transferred my SIPP from my existing provider / sceme administrator (which was remarkably painless).

With regards brokers for SIPPs, again there is a wide choice depending on what you wish to achieve. Assuming there is a desire to trade Forex or currency pairs directly and CFDs, those already set up for handling SIPP accounts include Alpari, FXCM, GFT, and SaxoBank, with available margin levels varying between them. They all offer MT4 if that is your bag. It is then a question of opening an account via the SIPP provider and lodging funds. I plumped for one of the ones above. IB also rate a mention here as they too have a SIPP compliant account, offering a huge array of tradeable instruments with the attractive IB levels of commission etc. although they won't allow FX trading (in my understanding) - hence no good for me.

I will update this in due course to expand on my real world experiences of the platforms, execution and functionality, but the above may save some fellow traders a little time if looking to trade forex in a SIPP.
HarbyTrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: iq200
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:26pm   #14
Joined Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rogers View Post
Hi Original OT,

FXCM Securities offers SIPP accounts allowing you to trade stocks, futures and options in addition to forex. It's important to note that when trading in the financial markets, your capital is at risk. If you would like more information about our SIPP accounts, I can have one of my colleagues in our London office follow up with you. Just send me a private message, if you're interested.

Jason
Thanks! been looking for something like this!
I presume it would be easy to transfer a personal pension into the fxcm sipp!
forex999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 4:37pm   #15
Joined Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Rogers View Post
Hi Original OT,

Jason
Hi Jason, just phoned Phone: +44 207 903 6150, to get the ball rolling, but the most unhelpful guy! He says that I need to first find a SIPP provider, who in turn will allow me to trade with FXCM

I asked can you provide me with a list of sipp provider?
he says he cannot give advise!

all i want is a list of sipp providers who use fxcm
forex999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 7, 2013, 7:38pm   #16

Joined Jun 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by forex999 View Post
Hi Jason, just phoned Phone: +44 207 903 6150, to get the ball rolling, but the most unhelpful guy! He says that I need to first find a SIPP provider, who in turn will allow me to trade with FXCM

I asked can you provide me with a list of sipp provider?
he says he cannot give advise!

all i want is a list of sipp providers who use fxcm
Hi Forex,

I apologize on behalf of my colleague who took your call. If you email me at jrogers@fxcm.com I can give you a list of SIPP providers and arrange a follow up call for you with one of my colleagues who can help you in setting up such an account.

Jason