The Basics of Trading

This is a discussion on The Basics of Trading within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; and the second chart Bill...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 3, 2003, 9:08am   #43

Joined Mar 2002
BAY

and the second chart
Bill
Attached Thumbnails
bay2.gif  
Old Feb 3, 2003, 10:01am   #44

Joined Nov 2000
Ftse, I agree about the line/candle, but I wanted to show the Divergence in Nov 99 and line charts give a cleaner look....
The views expressed here are my personal views and for your information only. Any expression of likely movement of a share is merely guesswork and is to be treated as such.This information must NOT be used as a basis for making any investment decision.
ChartMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 3, 2003, 7:13pm   #45
Joined Feb 2002
Hi FTSEB.
I cant thank you enough,I have understood you explanation,this is exactly what i need to get my head round. I will look at the BOCchart and come back to you.By the way,I thought the 130 level was resistance,you said it is support. Im not criticising you,just making sure I understand how you work.
Old Feb 4, 2003, 7:45am   #46

Joined Feb 2002
FTSE Beater started this thread DOH!!!!!

Yes I meant Resistance. If something is old support which gets taken out (as it has on the BAY chart), then it becomes resistance when tested.

I've edited the post now
FTSE Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 1:43pm   #47

Joined Jun 2001
Thumbs up Re: The Basics of Trading

Thanks to FB this is really good stuff.

I think one important lesson to come out off the last series of postings is the fact that not trading is sometimes hard to do.
I wonder how many people studied your chart and were desperate to find an excuse to trade it.
Beware of trading for trading's sake. I think the post by chartman highlights this, we all need to sit on our hands sometimes and wait and watch.

Nick
monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 5:30pm   #48

Joined Jun 2001
FB this is good stuff, thanks.

I think one good lesson that has come out of the last series of postings about BAY is not to over trade.
I wonder how many people looked at your chart and tried to make a trade for tradings sake. Sometimes we need to sit on our hands and just watch and wait for positive signals to trade and not make the chart fit our desire to trade.
Avoid overtrading.

Nick
monarch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 5, 2003, 8:08pm   #49

Joined Feb 2002
FTSE Beater started this thread Hi Monarch

The overtrading aspect of risk and reward is something that I hadn't actually thought of.

Risk / Reward really shows when to get in and when to stay out. Most of the time as traders, your watching a stock to set-up and being patient enough to allow the trade to come to you is something that new traders struggle with

Thanks for pointing that out Not sure it was important enough to post twice though
FTSE Beater is offline   Reply With Quote