The Basics of Trading

This is a discussion on The Basics of Trading within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Excellent links laptop1... much appreciated......

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:17am   #470
Joined Feb 2007
Excellent links laptop1... much appreciated...
frinos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2007, 11:47am   #471
Joined Feb 2007
Thanks for the global investor link DaveJB... Very useful info here as well.

I had a little search around and according to the "Looking for a good techinal book" thread, J Murphy's Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets is the highly recommended.. I'm pretty sure this is the one TBS was recommending as well..
Old Mar 18, 2007, 6:14pm   #472
Joined Feb 2007
Hi TBS,

In one of your last posts you indicated that it would be best for me to to trade medium/long term (swing trading)... Can I still use spread betting for long term trading? If so I gather that I have to pay daily interest on my investment... What other forms of trading can I use for long term trading apart from actually buying shares?
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:01pm   #473

Joined Aug 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by frinos
Hi TBS,

In one of your last posts you indicated that it would be best for me to to trade medium/long term (swing trading)... Can I still use spread betting for long term trading? If so I gather that I have to pay daily interest on my investment... What other forms of trading can I use for long term trading apart from actually buying shares?
Hello Frinos,

I use spreadbetting to "buy" shares from between one and six months - only buy the "rolling" product if you intend to hold for a few days - buy the forward contracts (March, June, Sep, Dec) into which interest is priced at about 6% per year, minus dividends. You can do better with the money you thus free up in a bank.

With CMC you can buy most FTSE350 shares for less than the cost of the stamp duty you'd pay (let alone market spread and commission) if you were to buy the shares outright. Take a look at the thread "cost of spreadbetting" and download the spreadsheet at the end of the thread for more info.

Good luck,
UTB
Old Mar 18, 2007, 8:11pm   #474
Joined Feb 2007
OK thanks UTB I will have a look at that thread...
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:11pm   #475
TBS

Joined Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by frinos
Hi TBS,

Purely my suggestion that given the time constraints you have, that you may not find yourself in a half decent frame of mind for 2 hours of intense day trading after a full days work - maybe you would!

Unfortunately I don't know enough about buying and selling shares through spreadbettors, but there are plenty of people here that do - (I'm a currency/indices/commodity futures and offshore sports trader).

Before you start the process of learning all this stuff - do you really want to go down this route? What do you want to get out of it? If money isn't particularly your driver, do you really want to give up 2 hours (you know its gonna be 3-4 hours really) per day? Trading isn't particularly easy money - do you need the grief?

To be frank, after a days work I wouldn't spend my time pratting about with trading! - and to be honest thats why most give up.
Old Mar 18, 2007, 9:15pm   #476
TBS

Joined Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveJB
Hello Sandy,
nice to see you again. I hope all is going well for you.
Dave
Hi Dave,

Not bad thanks, got travelling into London down to a day per week and both the fund and sports trading going OK.

Cheers