The Basics of Trading

This is a discussion on The Basics of Trading within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hi NastyItch Thanks for your comments – this has made me look at the chart again. Here are my thoughts:- ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 3, 2003, 9:10pm   #120
Joined Jan 2003
Hi NastyItch

Thanks for your comments – this has made me look at the chart again.

Here are my thoughts:-

So, we are looking at a slightly falling h + s neckline (I missed this). As I understand it, the price reversal after the h+s should at least equal the difference between the neckline and the head.

If the head is at 505p and the neckline at 375p, then we are looking at fall of 130p to 245p before upward movement is seen again? Is this what you are saying, NastyItch (forgive me, I’m at the stage where I have to think everything through longhand !)?

If this is so, and one was looking to trade, would it be best to wait and see if 245p was tested and became support (go long) or the price action continued to fall (stay on sidelines and watch some more?)

One more point – volume

Again from reading, I understand the volume associated with the rally leading to the right hand shoulder is supposed to be weaker than the volume associated with the fall of the right shoulder (completing the h+s).

This looks to be the case here with AVZ, or am I seeing things ?

Look forward to more comments – cheers, NastyItch, I’ve learnt some more (I think!) from this exercise.

SoldierofOne
SoldierOfOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2003, 10:37pm   #121

Joined Feb 2002
FTSE Beater started this thread Hi NastyItch

Well spotted on the H&S.

At this point the H&S has pretty much run it's course and is coming up to it's target.
This wouldn't signify a long at this point, as there is nothing to say that the price will go up from here.
FTSE Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2003, 9:44am   #122
The Staff are paid members that perform various roles such as editorial, advertising, support or technical work.

Joined Jan 2003
Hi FB,

Posted By FTSEBeater:
"This wouldn't signify a long at this point, as there is nothing to say that the price will go up from here."

If there is nothing to say that the price will go up why would you want to go Long ?

Paul
Trader333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2003, 11:33am   #123

Joined Feb 2003
Hi Soldier

Yes, that is exactly what I was getting at. The volumes do seem to confirm the H & S reversal with a target of around 255.
At this stage I am concentrating on learning to identify the trends, S & R and various patterns.

However ...

FB and Trader333

My next step would be to learn how to intepret the stuff mentioned above. So thanks for your comments. BUT...

If "there is nothing to say that the price will go up from here." then why go long (agreed), but likewise I don't see anything to say the price will continue to drop.

At this stage I am thinking, look at a longer timeframe chart. In the next post is a 3 year view which clearly still shows a downtrend. If I was asked what I would do, I would wait and see, although there may be a tendency to go short.

BIG QUESTION for the experienced folks out there.
If I were to do intraday trading what timeframe charts should I be looking at using?
What about trading on a weekly and a monthly basis?

Cheers
Attached Thumbnails
avz3rd-take.gif  
Old Mar 4, 2003, 11:38am   #124

Joined Feb 2003
The 3 year chart
Attached Thumbnails
avz040303.gif  
Old Mar 10, 2003, 2:17pm   #125

3 Posts
Joined Feb 2002
FTSEBeater,

Thank you for this thread, very informative.

I'm considering gong on the course run by TBS in May, I understand that you - as well as helen and a few others, have been on it, you even go so far as to mention it in your 'diary thing'.

I'm looking for a beginners course, reasonably priced - which this one seems to be - any comments?
Old Mar 10, 2003, 3:07pm   #126

Joined Feb 2002
FTSE Beater started this thread Hi BlackKnight.

This is going to be so hard for this to not sound like an advert.

TBS's course was second to none for a beginers course, and I can't recommend it highly enough. It put me on the right track from the start, and gave me plenty to work on, (it took me another 2 years to need another course for the next level).

I very worthwhile course IMHO

Click the image to open in full size.

PS: I have no connection to the course, only to say that I found it really useful.
FTSE Beater is offline   Reply With Quote