The Basics of Trading

This is a discussion on The Basics of Trading within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hi NastyItch and all I've been busy reading and researching over the last couple of weeks, so I haven't really ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Mar 11, 2003, 4:30pm   #131

Joined Feb 2002
FTSE Beater started this thread Hi NastyItch and all

I've been busy reading and researching over the last couple of weeks, so I haven't really had time to put anything together, which I must apologies for.

Is there anything in particular that people want me to talk about this week?

If not I'll do something on Indicators

Again, my deepest apologies
FTSE Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2003, 4:45pm   #132

Joined Feb 2003
Hi FB

Glad to hear you are back, your deepest apologies are not necessary. What do they say about 'presence not presents' are more important (although presents should not be turned away)

Earlier in this thread I had answered Soldier and posed some questions I was hoping you would pick up on.

BIG QUESTION for the experienced folks out there.
If I were to do intraday trading what timeframe charts should I be looking at using?
What about trading on a weekly and a monthly basis?

Just a thought
Old Mar 11, 2003, 5:11pm   #133

Joined Apr 2001
Hi FB,

So far been a very informative thread on the basics, keep it up

Keeping in line with basic and perhaps a step onto TA a suggestion to explain a favourite of mine, Pivot Points, maybe worthwile. This could encorporate the knowledge base of your teaching on support and resistance with a method of trading. Another advantage would be that you could demonstrate the other aspects that you have covered, such as money management for example, relavent to this form of Sup&Res
Just a suggestion and seems a logical progresion if you were considering moving onto more complex indicators in the future

Aiming to be long term successful, not short term lucky

Trading Breakouts Strategy - ARTICLE
Newtron Bomb is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 11, 2003, 5:46pm   #134
TBS

Joined Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by techcherry
hi all
... sorry tbs? because finnally I am thinking really serious to get into a begginers course as well...
Hi tc.

BK, FB etc were referring to a beginners TA Course that I will be running on 10th May. Sharkey will be putting the details on the events list in the next day or so but if you require them before then, please contact me. tbs@theblindsquirrel.com
Old Mar 11, 2003, 5:53pm   #135
TBS

Joined Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by NastyItch
Hi FB

BIG QUESTION for the experienced folks out there.
If I were to do intraday trading what timeframe charts should I be looking at using?
What about trading on a weekly and a monthly basis?

No matter what time frame you are trading over it is worth looking at the 10 year and 5 year charts on a weekly basis and the 1 & 2 year charts on a daily (or night before) basis. This should make sure that you at least know the major levels in the charts.

For actively trading intraday 1 minute bar (or candle if you prefer) charts - some also keep 3 and 15 minute charts running for reference.

For weekly/monthly trading 1 & 2 year charts.

HTH
Old Mar 11, 2003, 6:15pm   #136

Joined Feb 2003
Cheers TBS
certainly does help
Old Mar 11, 2003, 10:03pm   #137
Joined Jan 2003
Hi FTSEBeater
Welcome back. Appreciate the effort that you are putting in.

Along with others, I'm busy trying to look at charts based on what we have gone through so far.

Looking forward, here are a couple of suggestions on the 'supporting cast' (by which I assume you mean 'indicators'):-

1. moving averages (advantages / disadvantages of SMA and EMA; what periods do you look at? 5 day, 10 day...200 day? Do you have a preferred moving average/combination and then cross reference with another one?)

2. MACD and Signal Line (as above; do you use 13 and 26 day or something else?)

3. RSI

4. Volume

Look forward to the next instalment

Cheers

SoldierofOne
SoldierOfOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 1:06pm   #138

Joined Feb 2002
FTSE Beater started this thread Hi all

Thank you for your suggestions.

Here's the plan for the weeks to come.

Time-frames
Pivot points
Supporting cast - MA's, MACD, RSI, CCI, Stochastics

In the mean time, if there is anything else you would like me to talk about then feel free to contact me.

Hi SoldierOfOne

I'm going to have to pass on doing something about Volume, because I have no idea how volume works, and how you can use it to trade.

Sorry
FTSE Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12, 2003, 2:12pm   #139

Joined Nov 2002
hi all#
I would appreciate if you would explain all the differentt indicators, I mean the ones you can really use for day to day analysis where it can help for decision making...
I feel there is so many, and to be honest in the level I am I know nobody use them all , you elect the ones you prefer according to your strategie, but anyway I am a bit lost which are the best , what they reaaly reflect, etc...
Thx!!!
Old Mar 12, 2003, 6:07pm   #140
TBS

Joined Dec 2001
Quote:
Originally posted by techcherry
hi all#
I would appreciate if you would explain all the differentt indicators, I mean the ones you can really use for day to day analysis where it can help for decision making...
I feel there is so many, and to be honest in the level I am I know nobody use them all , you elect the ones you prefer according to your strategie, but anyway I am a bit lost which are the best , what they reaaly reflect, etc...
Thx!!!
Why do you feel that you need to use indicators? learn how to use the price action first, then worry about indicators, you will soon find that they are a waste of time.