The Basics of Trading

This is a discussion on The Basics of Trading within the First Steps forums, part of the Reception category; Hi FTSE Beater, Fluke and iSquared et al Well, first post here (and first post ever on trading, so…big gulp) ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 20, 2003, 2:53pm   #78
Joined Jan 2003
Hi FTSE Beater, Fluke and iSquared et al

Well, first post here (and first post ever on trading, so…big gulp)

FWIW, this is my reading of these charts (hope I’ve understood these candles)

ABF, long, buy 511, target 532, SL 500, R/R 2
Al., short, buy 760, target 720, SL 790, R/R 1.33
DGE. Short, buy 600, target 570, SL 650, R/R 0.6
JMAT, long, buy 740, target 800, SL 700, R/R 1.5

Coming up to speed with this thread but feel the only way to make progress is to publish and…

Look forward to hearing from you, Mark.

Regards

SoldierofOne
SoldierOfOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 6:18pm   #79

Joined Feb 2002
FTSE Beater started this thread Hi all

Hi SoldierOfOne – Welcome to T2W, and straight in the deep end

Thank you Chartman for posting up that chart. Shows exactly what I should have done with my BARC trade

ABF

Click the image to open in full size.

I would put the stop at 498 (below the January support and just below the round number) The target would be the resistance at 545 which was support in September and December – which is exactly what iSquared has said.

Fluke, I think you got it spot on. The only change would be the Stop loss, as round numbers often offer support or resistance, but that’s a minor point at best.

SoliderOfOne. With regards the Stop, I think the same applies to you as Fluke. I think the target of 532 would be great if you were trading intra-day, but for End of Day trading you need to look for more major resistance. I’ll be hopefully looking into that over the weekend.

AL.

Fluke, we agree with each other. Stop at 792 (above the last recent high) and the target of 648, as that is the January low.

ISquared. I can see why you set your stop at 801, but I feel if it broke out of recent high, then 801 would soon get taken out. The profit target was good though and a RR of 7.9 is great.

SoldierOfOne, a great place for the stop-loss. I feel think the same applies as before, the target could be a little further, but for a short-term target, I would agree 720 is the next stop

DGE

Everyone said 650 as a stop which is great
The target is the difficult thing with this one. I would be tempted to say no target and just see what mid-air support it finds. If on the current chart you can’t see a logical target, then you need to see a longer time frame. Even when you do that though the only support I can see is at sub 400, but at those levels bargain hunters come into buy the stock up – so it’s a tricky one that one.

JMAT

Click the image to open in full size. Oh sorry – fell asleep looking at this chart.

The main problem is that it is just drifting, with no clear direction. I agree with SoldierOfOne. I’ve put the target and stop on the edges of the range, but if I found myself in this trade I would be looking to get out as iSquared pointed out.

Fluke. I think your right to set a tight stop, and just find the nearest exit door.

MKS

This is an interesting one because it is coming upto what would have been it’s profit target at 280. At this point I would be looking to narrow the stop, and get out at the first sign of a bounce off 280 (maybe with the view to short again after the break-out)

Fluke – I think your right, but then you end up with a poor R/R. 318 would be a good stop if you think that 280 will fail to hold.

iSquared I agree with you on this one, and I’ll make sure I cover target setting this week.

Well that’s how I see these charts. I hope my criticism came over as I might it, which is purely constructive. There are no right or wrong answers and I would like to thank SoldierOfOne for being brave enough to post up their views.

Thank you to those who posted and the next lesson on target setting is in production.

Take care,
FTSE Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 8:06pm   #80
Joined Feb 2002
Mark.
Thanks for your valuable tuition on R/R,I am learning how to put it together now and using this on my Sharescope charts.
Its practice. practice. practice.from now on.
Looking forward to you next lesson
Old Feb 20, 2003, 9:23pm   #81

Joined Feb 2003
Thumbs up I agree - beginners board

TC

I agree with your comments re: "THIS IS SUPPOSE TO BE A BEGGINERS FIRST STEPS".

I rate myself as not even a beginner, so am looking to threads like these to learn a few things. After not even half way through I am met with phrases like Risk/Reward, protective stop, cup and handle, BillG's nice but SCARY Sharescope chart, and many other terms.

As a beginner looking for an introduction to these concepts I was expecting something more basic. FTSE Beater please continue with your approach, its very helpful. The other folks wanting to contribute perhaps a small suggestion for others like me who are keeping quite and trying to read through this lot. Why not define any new concepts/terms before using them. This way more of us will benefit and follow your discussion. Perhaps other threads can be used for the more advanced trader if you feel you must discuss in a more technical vein.

Cheers
NastyItch
NastyItch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 11:09pm   #82

Joined Dec 2002
"therefore, you are 'covering your short'.

Covering just means closing"

Ok, so by the same logic would 'covering your long' mean closing a long position, or does the jargon only apply to shorts
Les Carlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2003, 11:48pm   #83

Joined Nov 2000
The word 'covering' tends to apply to shorts only.

You 'close' a long, but 'cover' a short - in both these cases you are closing your position to make you flat. If you are flat it means you do not have a position (trade) open.

In the chat rooms people tend to say "cover at 837.5 for +1". So that tells you that they were short, and have closed their short at 837.5 for +1 point. And "close at 837.5 for +1", so you know they were long and are closing their trade at 837.5 for a gain of one point.
Skimbleshanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2003, 10:12am   #84

Joined Mar 2001
For the sake of completeness, perhaps I can add my own two penn'orth on short covering. As previously explained, a short position involves selling shares you don't own with a view to making a profit on a fall in price. Eventually you have to give them back to the original owner, which means buying them in the market at the price then prevailing. Obviously the hope is that you buy them back for less than the price at which you originally sold.

When you buy a share, the maximum at risk is the price you paid. If the share goes to zero, then you have lost your initial stake, but no more. With a short position, risks are unlimited. So you may sell at a 100 in the expectation that the price will fall to 80, giving you a profit of 20. If the price starts to rise, there is no limit as to how far it can go. Share prices can double quickly (particularly after a prolonged fall). A takeover bid may come in which raises the price. So you may sell for 100, which drops 100 into your account - some of which will be needed to buy back ("cover") later, but if the price rises to 1000, then you have a loss of 900 - hence the derivation of the expression "don't get caught short" - nothing to do with toilets!

After a prolonged fall, those holding shorts may feel that it is time to take their profit, so they "cover their shorts" by buying in the shares they have shorted so that they can be returned to their original owner. This buying can push up prices, and those who remain short see their profits decline, so they also decide to cover, increasing the buying volume, and accelerating the price rise. A rise in prices may be read by those not already in the market that a recovery is in place and these investors/traders may also start to buy, adding to the wave of buying from the covering shorts. This goes some way to explaing why initial recoveries can be so dramatic. One minute you have investors selling shares they hold, and there are also traders short selling, and no one buying. Then traders start to cover their shorts, genuine buyers also come in, and everyone who wants to sell has already sold. Short covering + genuine buyers + no sellers = a price spike up.

A sudden rally in prices due to short covering can be frantic, and is known as a "short squeeze". Market Makers may mark up prices if they know that there are a large number of short holders of the stock to shake them out. The big question when these rallies take place is whether it is just due to short covering - in which case once the shorts have closed their position the buying will dry up and the liklihood is that the share will revert to the original trend - or has the rally been caused by new buyers, in which case the buying may continue leading to a sustained rise in price.

Roger(M)

http://www.wehanghere.com
RogerM is offline   Reply With Quote