Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen Again in America?

This is a discussion on Could the Weimar Hyperinflation Happen Again in America? within the Economic & Fundamental Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; Hyperinflation Special Report Some good charts on the subject here....

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 11, 2009, 1:46am   #183
Joined May 2004
Hyperinflation Special Report

Some good charts on the subject here.
SAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 2009, 6:27pm   #184

Joined Oct 2008
Inflation Not a Problem "Deflationary Depression" in Our Future Prechter Says: Tech Ticker, Yahoo! Finance

Bullsh!t, Bearsh!t all smells the same to me!

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
N Rothschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12, 2009, 1:15pm   #185
Joined Oct 2008
Cheap oil is a thing of the past. This is one of the reasons that we are not going to see deflation for more than a short period. Supply can no longer exceed demand when it attempts to rise. Consequences do not bear thinking about.

Old Aug 14, 2009, 11:07pm   #186

Joined Oct 2008
CPI unchanged today, this inflation is WILD

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
Old Aug 15, 2009, 2:11am   #187

Joined Oct 2008
http://finance.yahoo.com/tech-ticker...Such-Good-News

this guy is spot on IMO

Old Aug 15, 2009, 7:55am   #188
Joined Oct 2008
The FED announcement on bond purchases ending and the "deflation" figures are designed to bring interest rates down. Risk aversion. This means the US govt see serious problems ahead. They are doing anything they can to get the public spending again, cash for clunkers, help with mortgages etc, but GDP is still negative. Banks are still insolvent despite trillions of dollars thrown at them. Property prices are still collapsing and with option arm resets taking effect they are going to carry on down. Commercial real estate is a disaster now happening. Business lenders are going bankrupt. Bailout and stimuli plans have failed. All markets have been propped up with printed and borrowed money. Its a big ponzi scheme about to unravel.
Old Aug 16, 2009, 10:01pm   #189
Joined May 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by poborsky View Post
Cheap oil is a thing of the past. This is one of the reasons that we are not going to see deflation for more than a short period. Supply can no longer exceed demand when it attempts to rise. Consequences do not bear thinking about.
The peak oil situation doesn't matter yet. We saw a drop in demand in the last year so the supply/demand situation is not critical. Oil markets are pricing in future demand, due to a rise in stock markets, rather than a return to demand.

The inflation v deflation argument is to do with timing- the markets are IN a deflationary situation now so the question is how long. Inflation is an afterthought for maybe a year or two down the line.

Excess capacity is being removed from the system and its too early to know when this will end.
SAINT is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: N Rothschild