Map of External Debt between countries

This is a discussion on Map of External Debt between countries within the Economic & Fundamental Analysis forums, part of the Methods category; OK, thanks. I'll have a look at that. I also had a look at a table of net international investment ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jul 13, 2011, 11:42am   #8
Joined Jul 2005
Re: Map of External Debt between countries

Arbu started this thread OK, thanks. I'll have a look at that.

I also had a look at a table of net international investment positions on wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_int...tment_position which of course is public and private debt. Two things I noticed:

1. I went through the figures for the 28 countries with the highest GDP, worked out their NIIPs in $ and added them up. It gave a figure of +$7.25 Tn. That suggests either a lot of smaller countries have significant negative NIIPs (maybe) or some countries are lying about their positions.

2. I'm surprised Australia has such a bad NIIP figure. Why is that?
Arbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2011, 12:04pm   #9

Joined Feb 2009
Re: Map of External Debt between countries

Well, I don't think it's a matter of lying, tbh. I think that the countries that are not included in the table probably contribute the balance.

As to Aussie, it's a well-known issue. Aussie has been a "beneficiary" of a lot of foreign inflows of capital, especially from China. Just like with the US, it means that you end up with a whole bunch of assets that are funded externally. In the case of Aussie (and you might have heard the stories), it's housing and all that this implies (i.e. offshore funding of domestic banks, etc).