Lumber coming out of the darkness

This is a discussion on Lumber coming out of the darkness within the Commodities & Money Markets forums, part of the Markets category; i like your thinking but its going to take more than building new houses to turn this mess around...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 11, 2009, 2:17am   #9

Joined Oct 2008
i like your thinking but its going to take more than building new houses to turn this mess around

Bullsh!t, Bearsh!t all smells the same to me!

"It is not cheap to develop automated systems , mine already cost over $1m. " oildaytrader
N Rothschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 2009, 3:14am   #10
Joined May 2005
maxwellreid started this thread I am looking at the bottom for lumber being made and the possibility of it being an indicator to a general market bottom. I agree building more house will not drag us out of this quagmire.

Max
maxwellreid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 14, 2009, 10:54am   #11
Joined May 2005
maxwellreid started this thread There's just something about lumber.... "According to CRSP, only one industry had positive returns from 1930 through 1932: logging. The two stocks in that tiny sector, Diamond Match and Mengel Co., whittled out a cumulative gain of 40% for the three-year period. Diamond turned timber into matchsticks; Mengel made trees into packing materials, primarily for daily necessities like tobacco and soap."

1930s Lessons: Stocks for After a Crash - WSJ.com

Max
Old Feb 19, 2009, 2:06am   #12
Joined May 2005
maxwellreid started this thread I think traders in this market for lumber are exhausted. That is, it has been hit by so much bad news:
"Earlier Wednesday, Commerce reported that seasonally adjusted housing starts in January were down 14.5% from December to 466,000 units, far worse than the 4.9% decline economists had predicted. Adjusted building permits were down 4.8% to 521,000, according to Commerce". The bad news barely dented the lumber market. imho, this is a time for "fresh eyes". Do Your Own Research

Max
Old Jun 18, 2009, 5:54am   #13
Joined May 2005
maxwellreid started this thread Lumber, may turn out the star of the softs. A few limit up days, rumors of more mill cut backs and houses are still being built. Lumber needs only a small catalyst, given the general malaise in housing. The stimulus will need lumber as well. Some profit has gone in the roll overs, but all in all..

Max
Old Apr 16, 2010, 2:21am   #14
Joined May 2005
Re: Lumber coming out of the darkness

maxwellreid started this thread lumber has been a commodity star. $140 to $318. Whether this market bull market continues, lumber did indeed call the turn. Worth keeping an eye on as it may signal any down turn. When this "softs" thread gets excited it will be time to exit

Max
Thanks! The following members like this post: N Rothschild
Old Oct 18, 2011, 7:26am   #15
Joined May 2005

maxwellreid started this thread Lumber Prices Are Signaling A Growing Economy - Business Insider

Lumber, calling the market.
Old Oct 18, 2011, 10:03am   #16
Joined Sep 2008

Got wood?

Peter
wackypete2 is offline   Reply With Quote