Interactive Brokers

This is a discussion on Interactive Brokers within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Hi All I have to apolgise in advance for not having a degree in rocket science. I've been looking through ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Aug 2, 2002, 10:21am   #1

Joined Feb 2002
Interactive Brokers

Hi All

I have to apolgise in advance for not having a degree in rocket science.

I've been looking through the margin requirements, and it's all gone straight over my head.

They say you can open an account for £1,450. http://www.interactivebrokers.co.uk/...inDeposit.html as long as I don't day trade it. So can I do 3 day trades in a week, and make other trades as long as I hold overnight - is this correct

My main worry is the Margin calls, as I can't make head nor tail of them. If anyone knows a way of working it out - I would be very grateful
FTSE Beater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2002, 12:15pm   #2
Joined Apr 2002
FTSE Beater

Yes, you can open a margin (with universal account you can trade stocks and futures) account with $2,000.

During market hours you can buy (or sell short) a stock with $4,000 buying power (eg. 100 shares @ $40).

After market hours you can buy (or sell short) a stock with $2,000 buying power only (eg. 50 shares @ $40).

If you are short and your account goes below $2,000 IB will liquidate your position.

If you are long and your account goes below $2,000 IB will NOT liquidate your position (unless the value of the your stock exceeds $2,000 after hours ie you bought at 3 o'clock 100 shares @ $40).

You can trade every single day as long you buy or sell the stock one day, and exit your position the next day.

Good trading

Last edited by Miki; Aug 2, 2002 at 12:18pm.
Miki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2009, 7:54am   #3
Joined Oct 2009
Interactive Brokers

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTSE Beater View Post
Hi All

I have to apolgise in advance for not having a degree in rocket science.

I've been looking through the margin requirements, and it's all gone straight over my head.

They say you can open an account for £1,450. http://www.interactivebrokers.co.uk/...inDeposit.html as long as I don't day trade it. So can I do 3 day trades in a week, and make other trades as long as I hold overnight - is this correct

My main worry is the Margin calls, as I can't make head nor tail of them. If anyone knows a way of working it out - I would be very grateful
The margin is set up so that you don't have to wait for 3 days for cash to setlle, you have purchasing power right after you sell. In order for you to qualify for a margin account set up, you need to have £1,450 to start with.

Your statement regarding day trading is totally correct. If you do 4 "day trades" (buy and sell of one issue on the same day), you need to meet the minimum capital requirements for day traders, if you stay within 3 day trades, you're OK with the £1,450 account.

Margin calls relate to the issue of the price of your holding decreased after you purchase the stock, it should not be a concern since people are doing short term tradings, wait until the prices get to be called for margin is little bit too late.
songcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2009, 2:17pm   #4
Joined Oct 2009
nice trhead
forexsmith is offline   Reply With Quote