Escaping the ESMA ruling

This is a discussion on Escaping the ESMA ruling within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Has anyone found a broker who will not be subject to the new ESMA rules on leverage, will accept customers ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 4, 2018, 6:00pm   #1

4 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Escaping the ESMA ruling

Has anyone found a broker who will not be subject to the new ESMA rules on leverage, will accept customers form the UK and allows spread bets (instead of just CFDs) on indices? I've investigated and contacted loads of brokers but none fit the criteria.
Thanks in advance.
Thirty9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2018, 8:32pm   #2

1 Posts
Joined Jun 2018
Same position as you. Any luck?
P2vulco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2018, 11:16am   #3
Joined Feb 2009
I honestly don't think you'll find any spread betting outside of the UK.

The closest you'll get are non-EU brokers offering CFDs with high leverage, and of course any profits will be taxable.

One option is to move to non-EU CFDs, build up a large bank and then move back to spread betting once the tax becomes too unpleasant!

Last edited by jm1054; Jul 3, 2018 at 11:17am. Reason: rogue hyphen
jm1054 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2018, 2:54pm   #4

Joined Jan 2006
Get yourself classed as a professional client. Rules don't apply then. Talk to your broker to see what the qualification criteria are.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend,
inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -- G Marx.
Hoggums is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:40pm   #5
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggums View Post
Get yourself classed as a professional client. Rules don't apply then. Talk to your broker to see what the qualification criteria are.

Not a realistic option for me - my SB firm would want to see a 500k financial instruments portfolio. Jeez, if I had 500k in financial instruments I wouldn't waste my time spreadbetting.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: jm1054
Old Jul 27, 2018, 7:05pm   #6
Joined Jan 2018
Surely the leverage allowance is fine anyway?
ForexinDevon is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:05pm   #7
Joined Jun 2008
Anyone trade CFDs with any of IG's branches outside of the ESMA's jurisdiction who is willing to share their experience?

They have prepared a webpage to compare their offerings.

Thanks
goodtyneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2018, 9:41pm   #8
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
sunseeker has already offered good advice elsewhere on t2win...
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:09am   #9
Joined Jun 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVP View Post
sunseeker has already offered good advice elsewhere on t2win...
Thank you for taking the time to post those links NVP, very kind of you and much appreciated. I will take a look at them in due course.
goodtyneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2018, 12:22am   #10

Joined Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtyneguy View Post
Thank you for taking the time to post those links NVP, very kind of you and much appreciated. I will take a look at them in due course.
Those links are NVP's signature links to his fx correlator, Still worthy to check them out but i believe this is the thread Neil was referring to...

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...utside-eu.html
mike. is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: goodtyneguy
Old Jul 28, 2018, 5:21pm   #11
Joined Jan 2018
I use JAFX and they are unchanged by ESMA.
ForexinDevon is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:24am   #12
Joined Aug 2012
What about spread betting companies for LSE shares? Doesn't Canada allow spread betting? Ideas.
mrfixituk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:30am   #13
Joined Feb 2003
Like most retail SB punters, when I heard about ESMA I thought about getting around these "stupid" EU rules.
I have been SB trading for many years, but my account has never gone up consistently. It shoots up then it shoots back down again. Why!! Because I am not as good as I think I am. I am a natural counter trend trader, which can hurt. I can over trade. I can be confident that the market is wrong, until the pain gets too much. Stops are for wimps.
So having re-evaluated myself, I welcome ESMA. It is going to force me to apply discipline and sensible position size to my trades. Hopefully it will allow me to grow the account slowly but in a measured way because high leverage has certainly not helped. Time will tell.
gmca686 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanks! The following members like this post: tomorton , Splitlink
Old Jul 29, 2018, 10:39am   #14
NVP

Joined Jun 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike. View Post
Those links are NVP's signature links to his fx correlator, Still worthy to check them out but i believe this is the thread Neil was referring to...

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/firs...utside-eu.html
yep not MY links ...go find sunseeker here at T2win
NVP is offline Coach/Trainer   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:25pm   #15
Joined Nov 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForexinDevon View Post
I use JAFX and they are unchanged by ESMA.
You are either non-eu citizen, or in case of no announcements about leverage cuts your broker is an unregulated scam
hatemypips is offline   Reply With Quote