Odd

This is a discussion on Odd within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; Trading with high leverage is like skiing - there are risks but nobody's ever forced to take the black run. ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:37pm   #16
Joined Feb 2002
Trading with high leverage is like skiing - there are risks but nobody's ever forced to take the black run. I don't hear many calls from any directions for skiing to be banned.
tomorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:40pm   #17
Joined Jan 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1984 View Post
It's only bad for mug punters that don't understand what they're doing.

Are you the 90% (lose) or the 10% (win).?

You gotta give the original poster both sides of the debate. His a newbie and giving him false hope of being that 10% is wrong.
TheRegulator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2018, 1:47pm   #18
Joined Jan 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomorton View Post
Trading with high leverage is like skiing - there are risks but nobody's ever forced to take the black run. I don't hear many calls from any directions for skiing to be banned.
You've been around for a long time. Don't know whether your consistently profitable or not. But tell the OP how it is. Everyone talks as if they know everything about trading and their all profitable. Come on let it out.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:02pm   #19
Joined Sep 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRegulator View Post
Are you the 90% (lose) or the 10% (win).?

You gotta give the original poster both sides of the debate. His a newbie and giving him false hope of being that 10% is wrong.
My overall P/L over the 7 years I've been trading is positive. You should not be abusing leverage unless you understand what you are doing, which is exactly what I posted. I think these proposed leverage changes are a bit harsh but I honestly do think there should be something in place to stop noobs who don't know what they're doing from losing everything. I am always telling my friends and anyone who asks me about trading (or any gambling) that the best thing to do is stay away from it.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:06pm   #20
Joined Jan 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewski1984 View Post
My overall P/L over the 7 years I've been trading is positive. You should not be abusing leverage unless you understand what you are doing, which is exactly what I posted. I think these proposed leverage changes are a bit harsh but I honestly do think there should be something in place to stop noobs who don't know what they're doing from losing everything. I am always telling my friends and anyone who asks me about trading (or any gambling) that the best thing to do is stay away from it.

"I am always telling my friends and anyone who asks me about trading (or any gambling) that the best thing to do is stay away from it."

Exactly and Agree, i couldn't have put it better.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:22pm   #21
Joined Jan 2017
Quote:
"I am always telling my friends and anyone who asks me about trading (or any gambling) that the best thing to do is stay away from it."

Exactly and Agree, i couldn't have put it better.

And by the way there are many features brokers can do to limit trading activity and deal with gambling and trading responsibly. Limit leverage, Limit deposit, self exclusion, self time out period, limit trading frequency, behavior watch list, ban binary trading which is gambling. helpline, etc etc

But you know what they aren't doing it because they have not been forced to do it by regulators. So they ll carry on nicely until the regulator say so.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:25pm   #22
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
You've been around for a long time. Don't know whether your consistently profitable or not. But tell the OP how it is. Everyone talks as if they know everything about trading and their all profitable. Come on let it out.

I'm profitable now, but like many or most others, that wasn't always the case. But my losses were always under control, both in the individual trade where I for years and years followed the 2% rule, and in the wider perspective where I knew whatever money I put into the SB account I could afford to lose and replace and lose and replace.

But every successful trader I ever read or met or posted with and believed said manage your risk and use a stop-loss so that you don't risk 100% of your account on a trade. Not just that, so did the SB firms I have traded with. In fact one of the platforms automatically entered a stop-loss when you entered a trade: it was just based on capital risk, not TA so I always altered it accordingly but even the SB firms themselves were trying to keep clients from busting their accounts.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:31pm   #23
Joined Jan 2017
Quote:
I'm profitable now, but like many or most others, that wasn't always the case. But my losses were always under control, both in the individual trade where I for years and years followed the 2% rule, and in the wider perspective where I knew whatever money I put into the SB account I could afford to lose and replace and lose and replace.

But every successful trader I ever read or met or posted with and believed said manage your risk and use a stop-loss so that you don't risk 100% of your account on a trade. Not just that, so did the SB firms I have traded with. In fact one of the platforms automatically entered a stop-loss when you entered a trade: it was just based on capital risk, not TA so I always altered it accordingly but even the SB firms themselves were trying to keep clients from busting their accounts.

"but even the SB firms themselves were trying to keep clients from busting their accounts."

Right, but that because the SB providers don't want accounts to be in negative balance. If they've got to loads of customers in the red, that not how they want to operate or show the regulators.

They don't want you in negative also because they don't want to be chasing you for the negative balance.

They not doing it out of the goodness of their heart.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 2:36pm   #24
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
"but even the SB firms themselves were trying to keep clients from busting their accounts."

Right, but that because the SB providers don't want accounts to be in negative balance. If they've got to loads of customers in the red, that not how they want to operate or show the regulators.

They don't want you in negative also because they don't want to be chasing you for the negative balance.

They not doing it out of the goodness of their heart.

The account could not in my experience ever get into the red because the SB firm would start closing trades as soon as account margin dropped below a certain %. This has happened to me, I think from memory that they started closing the oldest trades first, and continued until margin level was again adequate. Obviously, on each individual trade there is also the safety measure of the stop-loss applied by either the firm or the trader.

What is your experience with UK financial spreadbetting please?
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:04pm   #25
Joined Jan 2017
Quote:
The account could not in my experience ever get into the red because the SB firm would start closing trades as soon as account margin dropped below a certain %. This has happened to me, I think from memory that they started closing the oldest trades first, and continued until margin level was again adequate. Obviously, on each individual trade there is also the safety measure of the stop-loss applied by either the firm or the trader.

What is your experience with UK financial spreadbetting please?
I have no experience, training or education within the UK financial SB. I am your normal joe blog who got interested in looking at charts,patterns,waves,S/R,trendlines.

I started with countdown / sprint binary, then quickly realised this was absolute gambling.

I am the 90% (the majority of people here) but looking to increase my knowledge and skill.

Otherwise i know nothing else about FSB.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:08pm   #26
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
I have no experience, training or education within the UK financial SB. I am your normal joe blog who got interested in looking at charts,patterns,waves,S/R,trendlines.

I started with countdown / sprint binary, then quickly realised this was absolute gambling.

I am the 90% (the majority of people here) but looking to increase my knowledge and skill.

Otherwise i know nothing else about FSB.

Then FFS stop talking about what you don't know about
Thanks! The following members like this post: brewski1984
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:17pm   #27
Joined Jan 2017
Quote:
Then FFS stop talking about what you don't know about
There nothing wrong or untrue with what i've said about SB is there.

I think were going to have to agree to disagree about our views on FSB and the OP can make up his own decisions on how he wants to proceed.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:25pm   #28
Joined Feb 2002
Quote:
There nothing wrong or untrue with what i've said about SB is there.

I think were going to have to agree to disagree about our views on FSB and the OP can make up his own decisions on how he wants to proceed.

That's idiotic, you can't have different "views" on matters of fact. And even if there was room for a difference in judgement or interpretation, your views have no value if you have no experience in the field in question. You're just making yourself look stupid.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:34pm   #29
Joined Jan 2017
Quote:
That's idiotic, you can't have different "views" on matters of fact. And even if there was room for a difference in judgement or interpretation, your views have no value if you have no experience in the field in question. You're just making yourself look stupid.
Wow, no need to be like that.

I thought this forum was for people to come share ideas and discussion topics on trading. When i joined it didnt require experience in the field.

Whats your background then.
Old Feb 4, 2018, 3:39pm   #30
Joined Oct 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by theregulator View Post
there nothing wrong or untrue with what i've said about sb..
Quote:
Originally Posted by theregulator View Post
as soon as you place a sell market order.. it stalls and shoots in the other direction. ... its like your positon acts as resistance. Its manipulated to go against you... they'll do all they can to stop you winning and get you in to margin call or bully you to closing your position..

Last edited by Kaeso; Feb 4, 2018 at 3:45pm.
Kaeso is offline   Reply With Quote