Interactive Brokers

This is a discussion on Interactive Brokers within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; I have just tried to buy some gold futures using IB for the first time but I get the following ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:54pm   #1491

Joined Dec 2003
Re: Interactive Brokers

I have just tried to buy some gold futures using IB for the first time but I get the following error message. I was using MKT as order type.

'For market orders and marketable limit orders, Interactive Brokers may set a cap (for a buy) or a floor (for a sell) to avoid an execution of your order at a price that would not be fair or consistent with an orderly market. This means that Interactive Brokers cannot guarantee fills for market or stop orders.'

Can anyone advise?
samuelhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 2, 2009, 10:22pm   #1492
Joined Sep 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by samuelhogg View Post
I have just tried to buy some gold futures using IB for the first time but I get the following error message. I was using MKT as order type.

'For market orders and marketable limit orders, Interactive Brokers may set a cap (for a buy) or a floor (for a sell) to avoid an execution of your order at a price that would not be fair or consistent with an orderly market. This means that Interactive Brokers cannot guarantee fills for market or stop orders.'

Can anyone advise?
Just their standard disclaimer,if its a mkt order as I' m sure you're aware, there is no guarantee that your filled price will be the same as the best bid/offer when you clicked the button.... i thought you could acknowledge the msg and trade anyway, and check a box so it doesn't show again? Apologies if I'm wrong on that.
If it does prevent you trading then a quick call the European helpline should sort it out, it seems to be answered pretty quickly these days.
hampy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:07am   #1493

Joined Dec 2003

Cheers hampy will give it a go. Always have a problem with TWS on my desktop.
samuelhogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2009, 9:52am   #1494
Joined Jan 2006

Interactive Brokers UK Limited invites you to attend our FREE Webinar to describe our new SIPP services.

When: Monday 14th December at 16:30 GMT
Preregistration in mandatory (click the following link):

https://interactivebrokers.webex.com...okers%26%26%26
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:30pm   #1495

4 Posts
Joined Oct 2006

Is anyone using trading forex via Interactive Brokers?
If so would you mind listing the adavantages/disadvantages over say a forex only broker (e.g., Alpari).

Thanks,
Steve
steve257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 1:34pm   #1496
Joined Jun 2006

is it possible to view market data on the iphone without the need for the security token?
its quite troublesome lookin up the codes everytime i want to get an update!! >
wiseass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2009, 2:29pm   #1497
Joined Nov 2007

Hi,

Question for anyone really. A customer service rep told me that IB doesn't deal with any EUREX or LIFFE open interest data, does anyone know whether it is possible to get that kind of data streamed, or is it only compiled at the end of the day? If so, then is the US options Open interest data (which IB shows in real time) not updated in real time?

cheers

PS, is there a site where IB updates which new markets are on offer, and when will we see a South American one there?
RPEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:19pm   #1498

4 Posts
Joined Dec 2009

I would like to buy a couple of specific stocks on the Hong kong exchange. I've looked over the IB site and am not sure how to go about learning if I can do this. I am guessing that the Trader Workstation might answer that question but it seems I have to open an account and fund it to get access to that software.

Anyway can you tell me if I can buy HIHO [NASD] , Highway Holdings Ltd if I had an account.

Is there a way for me to determine what products IB has available for clients to purchase without opening an account ? This would help me a lot on deciding to have an account.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Ralph
rbagwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:13pm   #1499

2 Posts
Joined Dec 2009

I am using Questrade as a demo right now. Anyone else have an issue with selling a limit order?
It seems that my limit orders are not being filled even though my target price is being hit, or worse it doesn't even get filled when it surpasses my limit price.

Thanks.
De Niro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 18, 2009, 9:54pm   #1500
Joined Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbagwell View Post
I would like to buy a couple of specific stocks on the Hong kong exchange. I've looked over the IB site and am not sure how to go about learning if I can do this. I am guessing that the Trader Workstation might answer that question but it seems I have to open an account and fund it to get access to that software.

Anyway can you tell me if I can buy HIHO [NASD] , Highway Holdings Ltd if I had an account.

Is there a way for me to determine what products IB has available for clients to purchase without opening an account ? This would help me a lot on deciding to have an account.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Ralph

There's a big long list for each exchange on the website, if you go to the top menu and select product listings. HIHO is listed on NASDAQ, you cannot buy it on the Hong Kong Exchange. The company operates from there but the stock is listed in the US and priced in US Dollars.

yours
RPEX is offline   Reply With Quote