Interactive Brokers

This is a discussion on Interactive Brokers within the Brokerages forums, part of the Commercial category; A tech question for IB. Once upon a time our TWS connected to our home server (HK in my case) ...

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:55pm   #1341

Joined Sep 2003
A tech question for IB.

Once upon a time our TWS connected to our home server (HK in my case) and from the home server to the other server farms. Now, our TWS's connect directly to the data farms that we are getting data from - so I typically have connections to HK, to the US for forex and to the US for globex data.

Is it only data that comes direct or do our orders go direct. Put another way, are our orders routed through our home servers or do they go direct to the one closest to the exchange?
nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2009, 1:57pm   #1342
Joined Feb 2009
Can anyone tell me how much the data feed is for the FTSE future (LIFFE) with Interactive Brokers? Also, what is the approx round turn commission? I just can't get a straight answer from them direct, I have spoken to about 5 different reps each giving me conflicting prices and information. cheers.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:10pm   #1343

Joined Mar 2008
I pay the data feed but can't remember and would have to login to find out. I'll tell you later next time I'm on my account management webpage. It's not a lot.

Commission is £3.40 round-turn.
Old Jun 2, 2009, 5:46pm   #1344
Joined Feb 2009
Cheers ahardy, please do let me know the data fee when you get a chance, regards
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:33am   #1345
Joined Oct 2007
Bennie, this was discussed just 3 pages back.

The data feed costs 5 EUR per month - Euronext Data Bundle- Level 1

The RT commission for a FTSE contract is 2.06 GBP if you choose unbudled scheme, 3.4 GBP if you choose bundled.
Zito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 9:42am   #1346
Joined Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zito View Post
Bennie, this was discussed just 3 pages back.

The data feed costs 5 EUR per month - Euronext Data Bundle- Level 1

The RT commission for a FTSE contract is 2.06 GBP if you choose unbudled scheme, 3.4 GBP if you choose bundled.
level 2 data, considerably more I guess?
Old Jun 3, 2009, 10:46am   #1347

Joined Sep 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine View Post
A tech question for IB.

Once upon a time our TWS connected to our home server (HK in my case) and from the home server to the other server farms. Now, our TWS's connect directly to the data farms that we are getting data from - so I typically have connections to HK, to the US for forex and to the US for globex data.

Is it only data that comes direct or do our orders go direct. Put another way, are our orders routed through our home servers or do they go direct to the one closest to the exchange?
IB. Any chance of an answer?
nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 12:19pm   #1348
Joined Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by nine View Post
IB. Any chance of an answer?
I've no doubt there are many traders who love IB. However, from my experience the customer service is shocking (by the way I'm not normally one to complain!). A simple question is never answered properly. In fact, I made 5 separate phone calls and spoke to 5 different people...all I wanted to know was which data feed I would need for a specific contract. I got 5 different answers! To top it off, some of them had the cheek to tell me to go and look on their website (probably because they didn't know), rather than them tell me direct over the telephone, but this was the whole point of me calling! I also asked for a commission quote on the FTSE 100 Future contract and I kid you not they did not understand what I was talking about. I had to try and explain what this contract was for several minutes. I just don't think they are trained or something. It ended up with a rep getting shirty with me, for no reason. It should not be like this and indeed I've experienced nothing else like this with any other broker. In fact all other brokers are knowledgable and go out of their way to help you. So this is why I end up asking the questions on this forum rather than trying to get an answer from IB.

In summary, I so want to like IB because its easy, commissions are quite good, its good for international traders like me. However, two things in particular I just can't force myself to accept. Firstly, as explained above I can never get a proper answer. Secondly, the platform seems so outdated compared with the competition. I found it quite nasty if I'm honest. I do not want to deter anyone because ultimately its a personal choice and I'm sure many traders can live with IB's traits, but I just don't think I can. Good luck everyone.
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:19pm   #1349
Joined Jun 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by bennie83 View Post
However, two things in particular I just can't force myself to accept. Firstly, as explained above I can never get a proper answer. Secondly, the platform seems so outdated compared with the competition. I found it quite nasty if I'm honest. I do not want to deter anyone because ultimately its a personal choice and I'm sure many traders can live with IB's traits, but I just don't think I can. Good luck everyone.
Bennie,

I never experienced such bad customer service, but maybe that`s because I usually speak to ZUG (CH) center. Always competent, knowledgeable and friendly.

Regarding their platform: Many traders not only like it, they absolutely love it!

All the best

Hittfeld
Hittfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 3, 2009, 2:31pm   #1350
Joined Feb 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hittfeld View Post
Bennie,

I never experienced such bad customer service, but maybe that`s because I usually speak to ZUG (CH) center. Always competent, knowledgeable and friendly.

Regarding their platform: Many traders not only like it, they absolutely love it!

All the best

Hittfeld

Hi Hittfeld,

Like I said, IB must be doing something right. But its all about personal experience. Maybe it would help if I had a direct contact, someone who I could rely on at IB. I am trying to force myself to like them for the reasons I mention before, so please could you tell me what you love about the platform? I am willing to revisit it and give it another go. I must be crazy!?

Cheers